Connecting my laptop to my TV with HDMI

Henning95

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
I have a 55" 4K smart Vizio TV. I am trying to connect my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable. I have connected my laptop to other TVs in the past and it can connect to a different TV in the other room but will not connect to the VIZIO. When the TV and the laptop is hooked up, the TV just shows a no signal message. I have tried other cords and other HDMI ports. I have went into my control panel, display, connect to projector and duplicate but this does nothing to help. I have an Alienware Dell laptop running Windows 7.

I have contacted my TV manufacturer and they have stated there is no option on the TV to change. All I should have to do is have the cord plugged in and be on the correct input.

Thank you!

Solution
Make sure the TV itself is set to the correct HDMI port, also in the laptop, make sure it's set to use the external monitor either as a mirror (preferred) or as primary video
If the resolution of the laptop is not compatible with the TV it won't work so after setting the TV as an extended or second screen set the video to 1080p, Even though your TV is 4k it will only accept 4k with HDMI 2.0 and HDCP2.2 copyguard which I don't think you don't have on the laptop.
When two components are connected via HDMI they "handshake" with each other. The TV isn't continually looking to handshake with an input so the order you turn things on can affect the handshake.
Try switching to the input then booting the laptop.
Try booting the laptop and then selecting the HDMI input that it is connected to.
Try a different HDMI Input.
Try a different HDMI cable. Even if the same cable worked with the same laptop on another TV it may not work on this one.

Aiman_5

Commendable
Oct 13, 2016
i am trying to connect my laptop to TV by using HDMI but and when i go to tv and press the SOURCE to change it to HDMI it's not connecting to my laptop I need your help