Connecting PC to a sony 5.1 home theatre

Tacticall993

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
Is there a way I could connect my pc to a home theatre system so I can play my sound through those speakers? I really dont want to buy a separate system just for my pc, so I'd like to connect it to my existing home theatre system. Is this possible? The speakers cant be used without using the actual dvd box. Thanks in advance!

Solution
There should be connections on the back of the home theatre system that would allow for that. Those can vary from system to system, but at the very least you should be able to connect stereo audio. For 5.1 audio, it might depend on what inputs the speaker system has as well as what inputs the PC has. Some speaker systems might only allow surround-in through an optical cable, for example, and your PC might not necessarily provide optical-out (though I believe the motherboard in your profile should). It's difficult to say what connection option might be best without knowing exactly what model of home theatre system it is though.

cryoburner

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
There should be connections on the back of the home theatre system that would allow for that. Those can vary from system to system, but at the very least you should be able to connect stereo audio. For 5.1 audio, it might depend on what inputs the speaker system has as well as what inputs the PC has. Some speaker systems might only allow surround-in through an optical cable, for example, and your PC might not necessarily provide optical-out (though I believe the motherboard in your profile should). It's difficult to say what connection option might be best without knowing exactly what model of home theatre system it is though.

Solution