Connecting phone to an old radio

ItaiK

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
Hey, this is my first time in this forum so if you guys think i need to post this in a diffrent forum plaese tell me. So i found in my grandparents basment this philips radio/stereo from 1966. Here are a few pictures of it. I have no idea how to work this thing but it turns on and you can press a few buttons. You can hear that both speakers work. I was wondering if there was way to connect my phone to the radio. I have an rca cable to 3.5 mm audio jack but the rca cable dosent fit in the inputs. Thank you for your help.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/IQ652

Itai K.

These 5-pin DIN connectors sometimes carry two inputs - phono and line, and these inputs are selected by pushing the appropriate button at the front. You don't want to use Phono input.

Also - before connecting your expensive iPhone to the other end of DIN-to-RCA-to-3.5mm cable - switch the inputs on the radio, and touch the 3.5mm end. You should hear a humm in the radio.

It looks like this is just a radio; I don't think it includes any audio in provisions.

You'd probably be better off selling it (valve radios are getting kind of rare and there's some people who think they're made of magic...) and buying a set of external speakers.

Don't expect HiFi sound quality from 50-years old tube radio. It is AM only, so I doubt it will play anything above couple of kHz.

And be careful when you poke inside - there are dangerous voltages (in excess of 200V) inside!

ItaiK

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015

So if I connect the DIN cable to the radio and the other end, the 3.5 mm jack to my phone, It's supposed to work? Also, what do the signs mean under the inputs?

Here's a picture of the input: http://imgur.com/q9j4ddg

noidea_77

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Should work, yes, but I wold try it with a less expensive 3,5 mm jack. :)
And the icons:
1st icon for http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/583f30b3a8662772/index.html
2nd icon for http://www.revox.com/en/classics/reel-to-reel-machines.html

These 5-pin DIN connectors sometimes carry two inputs - phono and line, and these inputs are selected by pushing the appropriate button at the front. You don't want to use Phono input.

Also - before connecting your expensive iPhone to the other end of DIN-to-RCA-to-3.5mm cable - switch the inputs on the radio, and touch the 3.5mm end. You should hear a humm in the radio.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Audio 1
tomelks Audio 3
Aivarasasas11224 Audio 8
F Audio 1
B Audio 1
S Audio 1
M Audio 1
A Audio 2
R Audio 3
K Audio 1
N Audio 5