Connecting to speakers of old home theater system

Mahesh Abnave

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
I am having quite of Philips DVD Home Theater system that my dad bought many years ago.
Its specifications can be found here.
I dont know if its DVD player is working or not and I really dont think I am going to use DVDs in future. Now I have bought LG smart TV (WiFi enabled), and Nexus 6, Seagate External HDD, Chromecast. I usually play YouTube videos right to TV or cast stuff from mobiles to Chromecast, or directly to TV using DLNA.

In all these tech stuffs, I really dont see if I can use the old home theater system anyway. Specifically my question is whether I can reuse those speakers again or not, because I can re collect those speakers were playing awesome and also because there connectors are different. They are not common 3.5 mm audio connectors. Even I dont recognize type of those connectors. They look more like the power connectors used on PC motherboards.

Is there anyway I can stream an audio from my phone to those speakers. What kind of device I will need to interface between those speaker and phone or my TV and those speakers

Solution

Hello man

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Can you get us a picture of the back?

You cannot use the speakers without the main unit that came with them or another similar amplifier. The connectors can be cut off and you can use bare wire if needed.
If you do have the original main unit then you can connect it to the TV. The spec sheet you link to says that it has an analog TV input. You TV may have not have analog audio out but it should have optical audio out. An adapter like this one would be needed:
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-%2851-compatible%29--180-999
That main unit also has an aux analog input so you can either connect the headphone out of your phone directly or buy a bluetooth receiver and connect that to the aux input.

Mahesh Abnave

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Very sorry for late reply.

Below are the links to the pics of the back of my sound system and smart tv. As can be seen from them, my sound system have RAC Audio In and TV has 3.5 mm headphone audio out and Optical Digital Audio Out. So I have few questions

1. Does Optical Digital Audio Out carry 5.1 surround sound?
2. With these system, is there any way to get TRUE 5.1 Surround sound without buying a PC with Audio Card having 5.1 surround sound out
3. Does RAC Audio In accepts true 5.1 surround sound input. If not I think I will not be able to get TRUE 5.1 surround sound in any way.

Audio System back panel: dropbox link
TV back panel 1: dropbox link
TV back panel 2 : dropbox link
TV manual screenshot 1: dropbox link
TV manual screenshot 2: dropbox link

Solution