Connection but no sound

tannion

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Have hdmi from pc to onkyo receiver, among other connections. Sound shows on screen scale but no real sound from speakers. PC speakers show same as connected but I do get sound. Have optical cable hooked up to PC, also show sound but not heard. Onkyo assignment of connection changed to what is connected and where. What is my mistake to get receiver to play from PC?

TomPlum

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Is your AV Receiver set to the correct output? I.e. if it's connected to your PC via 'Tuner', your audio output should be on 'Tuner' as well. Also, if you're running stereo (2.0), check if your AV Receiver is trying to output 5.1 surround. Or vice versa.

tannion

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Is your AV Receiver set to the correct output? I.e. if it's connected to your PC via 'Tuner', your audio output should be on 'Tuner' as well. Also, if you're running stereo (2.0), check if your AV Receiver is trying to output 5.1 surround. Or vice versa.

Thanks for your reply. Have sorted some things out since this sent. NOW, Have Samsung Smart TV, Cable box, Onkyo avr with separate connections for each unit with buttons for selection plus the PC. TV is connected to cable box with hdmi. Cable box to AVR w/hdmi ARC capable. PC to AVR with hdmi. Each connected to specific connection that has a selective button. TV works fine, and with this setup the cable box is turned on, then the avr remote is used to turn on TV and avr (sound system is now thru the avr). But, the avr will not play from PC avr switches to AirPlay but no sound. I had some music from downloaded from iTunes and mistakenly put all my music into folders of iTunes. When trying to play them on PC, the PC states that Miracast is not on the PC. Is this the problem or???