Connection/conversion issue???

rocknroller

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I have a Lux amp and tuner connected to Klipschorn theater for the "A" speakers and Bose 901 series III as the "B" speakers and am well pleased with this arrangement. It is several years old and, of course, new technology has passed well by this arrangement. Now for my question. I want to make a toslink digital audio connection to this system and the stb has a toslink output which solves the output issue. My question is what do I need or what is the best way to connect the output end of the toslink cable into my Lux system to get the very best digital audio input (Dolby 5.1; 6.1;7.1 or whatever to work with this system? I have seen a converter (I think) that provides 3.5mm RCA plugs to connect but this may be an analog setup, which I want to avoid if possible. I am hoping that there is some device that will take the Toslink digital signal and make a digital input connection into the system so that I can enjoy full fledged blu-ray or equal digital audio. Also I have built a desk top computer with AM3+ processor and DDR3 ram with a board that has HDMI output to handle the video portion and I want to add the digital stereo to upgrade the sound system if there is any way ( I can add a video card to this board if need be. I have some ideas about this but I want to get as much input on the best way to do this to get the maximum performance so I thought a good idea was to put the question before the experts in the community to get their take in it. Any critique` or suggestions are more than welcome, so I hope everyone will feel free to make any comments and/or suggestions to help me come up with the best resolution to this issue.

Thank you for any assistance and/or suggestions you may offer.....rocknroller

1. Assuming that your existing system is 2 channel but running 2 pairs of speakers you cannot get Dolby Digital Surround sound without a surround sound receiver or processor preamplifier+multichannel power amplifier since each speaker receives a different signal each must have it's own amplifier channel.
2. If you just want 2 channel then you can add an Digital to Analog converter that will have digital optical in and 2 channel analog audio out that you can connect to your existing system. You would have to set the output of your sources to pcm.
3. The lossless audio available on Bluray can only be accessed digitally with the HDMI output that would go the the surround processor or receiver or through multichannel analog audio outputs if the Bluray has them.

rocknroller

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009

I think I see where this is all going and alas, as great as my system sounds ( at least to me), I am going to be forced to add a Dolby 7.1 A/V receiver to tie all of thr home theater together with HDMI in/out. Also looks like I will be adding at least 2 more sets of speakers ( if I read your post correctly, it will require a set (2) speakers per Dolby 7.1 channel. I am looking at a Denon with 6 or 7 HDMI inputs and with the necessary outputs to get the max Dolby sound. Any ideas of speaker choices for the added sets. It appears that the bottom line of all this is simply that I will have two top notch but distinctly seperate systems....one for the stereo 2 channel Lux and then turning to a Denon, Pioneer or whatever A/V receiver works out for the newer 7.1 Dolby for the Home theater.
Is this pretty much what you see as well? Anyway my choices will be relegated to listening to really good music via the Lux/ Klipsch- Bose or A/V home theater via the Denen Dolby 7.1.....I really wish there was a way to add it all together but technology has moved on,,,,so be it...
Is this about the way you see it and if If any other ideas come to you or any plausible alternatives, please advise me.....I am most grateful for any suggestions.....Thanks to you and the community for your input and thoughts on these issues.....rocknroller