Considering HP Spectre Laptop, Want Gphx Dock Compatibility in Future.. (Canada)

jayinvan

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Hey all,

In the market for a new laptop, I really want something light, portable, and business friendly (ie: not alienware-looking). The new HP Spectre cought my eye as a beautiful machine. (http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?sel=NTB&id=X2F00EA&opt=ABU&p=c-hp-spectre) It has 2 thunderbolt ports so I am thinking at the base level this should open the possibility of a graphics amplifier/dock working with it, but I understand the market is still young and untested. Wanting input on whether this laptop in the near future should support a graphics dock, or if you have a suggestion of a laptop that is similarly slim, stylish and better future-proofed with regards to graphics docks I would love to hear them!

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Right now the only sure laptop that will work with a dock are the few that are designed for them, Razer Blade Stealth and the Alienware box.

The rest are all iffy if they will support external docks since the system does not just need a Thunderbolt 3 port but also firmware support for it. If the system does not have those, or won't get it, you will need to hope that there is some other external video tech that comes out.
Right now the only sure laptop that will work with a dock are the few that are designed for them, Razer Blade Stealth and the Alienware box.

The rest are all iffy if they will support external docks since the system does not just need a Thunderbolt 3 port but also firmware support for it. If the system does not have those, or won't get it, you will need to hope that there is some other external video tech that comes out.

Solution
The only laptop that I know that supports the external graphics card is razor. I know alienware does it but I know you don't like the look of it. My best suggestion is to wait as the performance of the new pascal gpus are on the level of some desktops gpus so I don't know if any other manufacturers will support it.

TRENDING THREADS