Considering Laptop over building my own PC, Thoughts, Suggestions?.

AnotherDumbNoob

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=y510p&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Basically I want a gaming rig for Skyrim, Fallout, and Fallout 4 whenever it arrives(These games are all i play). I want to be able to MOD, but nothing very extreme. I want to play on High/Ultra settings with no lag.

Here's my questions/problems.

Will the cheapest y510P handle this? Do I really neeeed 16GB RAM? Which one of these will handle it? Or do i need the best one?

Also, yes, i know it is a laptop. I live far from home and a laptop is more convenient. I have given some thought into building my own PC, however, it is still going to cost me $700+ to make a PC capable of what i want. Is it really worth it to even build a PC? Because i mean... the laptop has two GPU's (and good ones at that), plenty of RAM, i5 or i7, an SSD i can put Skyrim on directly, etc etc. ALSO, if i buy the laptop and it doesn't meet my expectations, i can simply return it! But if i build a PC that is only a few hundred cheaper than the laptop, and it doesnt meet my expectations i am stuck with it!

What do you guys think? I dont have much hair left to pull out.

Solution
The biggest downsides to gaming on a laptop are, the resolution/screen size, and generally lower powered parts. The one other thing to consider is, if a part dies, or needs upgrading to extend the life of, or boost the performance of the computer, it's easily done in a desktop, where it's not in a laptop.

It's possible to game on a laptop, especially if you use a docking station, external monitors, keyboard/mouse, etc...However, that kind of hurts the portability factor.
It sounds like you have some good reasons to choose the laptop, especially the portability factor. other than being able to move it around better, a desktop is almost always going to get you a better price. if you know that you'll be satisfied performance-wise then it might be worth the extra, especially because your range of games is limited.

aford10

Distinguished
The biggest downsides to gaming on a laptop are, the resolution/screen size, and generally lower powered parts. The one other thing to consider is, if a part dies, or needs upgrading to extend the life of, or boost the performance of the computer, it's easily done in a desktop, where it's not in a laptop.

It's possible to game on a laptop, especially if you use a docking station, external monitors, keyboard/mouse, etc...However, that kind of hurts the portability factor.

Solution

rpjkw11

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
I have always used desktops, but bought a Nexus 7 last August. That spoiled me for mobility so I bought a gaming laptop for use on our balcony. The lappy has, of course, it's shortcomings since I use a mouse and joystick, but I'm generally happy with the compromise, though I'm still a desktop fan. Nothing beats a desktop at home for serious game play, flight simulation in my case.