Consumer Reports Confirms Verizon iPhone 4 Flaw

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robd007

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
[citation][nom]Rubbish[/nom]Consumer report is not a credible source. Unless your a retard[/citation]

consumer reports is like the only company that doesnt accept advertising as to not sway their results...do u have any idea wat your talking about?

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
*Insert something about disliking Apple products for no real reason and some kind of comment about holding it wrong lulz, also some other comment about Android FTW* here.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The iPhone 4 antenna on current models, including Verizon has been updated some time ago. The signal, while still weaker compared to other phones, is vastly improved over the early iPhone4.

I have a Galaxy S phone, which has its own issues. :(

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I find it incredible that the phone companies want to deal with Apple at all - I mean, imagine their outrage when the customers can't make any calls due to the antenna not working, and dropping all their calls? Minimum bills, reduced profit, economic meltdown.

OH WAIT, the MILLIONS of people making hundred of calls every day with their Iphone with no problems at all must not have sat there for 5 hours trying to find an obscure position in which to hold the phone which causes it to lose signal, which no normal person even comes close to doing.

Apple haters gotsta chew on something on than apples, I guess.

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Normal. Fix the problem and only Verizon wins. AT&T and it's loyal customers get angry and you lose the chance to sell a few extra and finally fixed iPhones with the number 5 in the end. Don't fix the problem and everyone is just OK. Even those who don't feel that OK they will run to be the fist (again) to buy the iPhone 5. You win, AT&T win, Verizon win the customers think that they also win...

pcfxer

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
All phones suffer this "grip" to some extent. Consumer Reports just lost their validity again.

Go to a real tech website to find out more (anandtech)

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Mind you it is still an iPhone 4, but considering they have a CDMA radio in the verizon model I figured they would have fixed the signal attenuation problem, unless its a problem with the design of the phone itself, and not just the antennae location within the case.[/citation]
It's not about the radio (CDMA or GSM), it's about the antenna. the design flaw is that the outside rim IS the antenna, so by gripping it you change the impedance and hence the "tuning" is lost.
There was no need to run any studies; try to grip an indoors TV antenna and see what happens to the image. Same principle applies, but with worse outcome because the signal is weaker in cell phones' case.
They could NOT fix it because to do so it would require an extra layer on the case, that insulates the metal from the skin. That's what the rubber case provides, insulation.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]Rubbish[/nom]Consumer report is not a credible source. Unless your a retard[/citation]

And I guess you are not a credible source when it comes to spelling and grammar for the same reason.

Element0f0ne

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I've had a Verizon iPhone 4 since release to existing customer. The antenna "issue" is simply a non-issue. No dropped calls. It's simply false, and really hurts whatever credibility CR had left...

Dolts.

User69

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Even though I hate Apple, this problem is easily fixed with a bumper case. Its not that big of a deal. The phone is made out of glass on both sides it would be crazy not to get a case. I have no problem with the iPhone in general because its around the price of other leading handsets and cheaper than the ipod with more capabilities.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Rubbish[/nom]Consumer report(sic) is not a credible source. Unless your a retard[/citation]
I'm guessing you do not mean the kind 'retard' who failed 4th grade English (using 'your' in place of you're)?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You know and iPhone is still an iPhone regardless of the carrier. A design issue on one carrier will exist with another. As long as you (the consumer) are okay with a specific limitation or issue, then enjoy your phone.

This conclusion should not come as a surprise to anyone. Also, Consumer Reports is one of the most reputable sources of product info anywhere in the world. Bashing them, particularly from a skewed misinformed viewpoint, does not add to the discussion.

Have fun!!!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Apple nevr had any intention of fixing, and never will fix, this issue.
Anyone who thinks they will are only fooling themselves.

The only "fix" Apple intends is for you to buy the iPhone 5 when it comes out.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
[citation][nom]nielsenja[/nom]"Its" vs "it's" is hard.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here.[/citation]
My thoughts exactly.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]krischej[/nom]@invlem:" 'Tis a pity that Apple, usually a design champ, got this so horribly wrong.[/citation]

LOL what piece of shit Appfag?

dj-jumbles

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Exactly why when I upgraded, I just got the Droid X instead. I toyed with the concept of switching to the iPhone 4, but thought better of it for just this reason.
I don't need to game on my phone... but after rooting it, installing the free Wi-Fi hotspot apk, and deleting all the bloatware, I couldn't care if the next phones are quad-core-8Ghz, Nvidia 580GTX (GTI, GTS, GTGAY, whatever) graphics, etc.... I'm completely happy with what I have: a great, smooth-running phone that does everything I need it to do... take calls, send email and texts, take some good pictures, act as a WIFI hotspot (iPhone can't do this), and browse the web from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.