Consumer Reports Does Not Recommend iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Consumer Reports is nothing in the face of mighty Apple. The masses will disregard the warning and flock faithfully towards the new phone.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
It would probably take 2 or 3 flawed phones before the iPhone brand name started taking damage. One minor issue like this isn't going to change things much.

The external antenna is basically a good idea. When you're holding it right, it does get a stronger signal than other phones.

Also one of those bumper cases fixes he issue completely and looks better than duct tape. The best thing for Apple to do is probably to admit their mistake (they could say that they actually designed the phone for use with a bumper case only) and give it away for free with each phone.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
Jobs make a great job!!! :)
he resell millions of non working phones, and will resell even more working phones!!!
a lesson: how to double your sales!!!
And the worst part... everybody will be happy!!!! ridiculous.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Although I'm still not a fan of iphone/ipod (or anything apple for that matter), do people really still give any credibility to Consumer Reports these days?
There are so many better ways to get reviews and recommendations on products these days. I've seen some ridiculous recommendations come from CR; particularly regarding cars.

ceejer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
It should be pointed out that, while they didn't recommend it, they still gave it the highest overall rating of available smartphones. I'm not saying that makes it a good phone, but that's a relevant fact to this story that was overlooked by Tom's.

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
CR is now just one of many to confirm the already confirmed antenna issues (they're a little late to the party). Of course you always have to really scrutinize the results CR puts out, especially electronics and vehicles. Anyone remember the CR article that praised the $1000+ Mac computers, when only compared to $500-750 Windows computers; what a completely dishonest comparison that was.

AIstudio

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
All i can say as a consumer is that i do have a 32Gb 3Gs and it is a good device once unlocked to all its glory.
I WAS thinking about getting the iphone4, and had even pre-ordered one. After all the issues with the device I have cancelled my order to see what happens over the coming months.
As much as i like the design of the phone I just cannot buy something that will give me problems.
After all I already have a fully functional phone.
Come on Apple! At least admit things need fixing, offer to refund all customers upon request. Offer all the customers free bumpers & a free upgrade when the 4Gs comes out with a reworked (& fixed) design.
Now THAT would surely win over the consumer and put things wright!!

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]Easy fix with some good old 100 MPH duct tape.[/citation]
So you can tape it next to your ear.

Fools! it was never meant to be touched, only idolized as an extension of Jobs.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
well... Steve Jobs will react soon...
the Apple stock value (-4% in 30min) is going down and Microsoft will get the first place again...
So Steve will certainly do something to keep the first place here.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Definitely looks like an oversight... they could have put a bit of non-conductive plastic or something over that gap as well and didn't do so.

You don't need a big ugly piece of duct tape to fix it though. Get some reflective silver or even black electrical tape or other non-conductive tape and cut it to size... the fix may run you up to $5 but if you cut it to shape you would never notice it on the phone.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Duct tape? Seriously? Maybe Jobs can come up with fancy Duct Tape. Throw on a glowing logo and sell em as add-ons and watch everyone buy em... (let me patent this before it really does happen)

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I really hope this smacks some sense into the drooling masses of apple fans! There are other phones and mp3 players that work better offer more and cost less! My g/f's mp3 player for one cost $60(Can) is 30gb and works as an external drive.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ceejer[/nom]It should be pointed out that, while they didn't recommend it, they still gave it the highest overall rating of available smartphones. I'm not saying that makes it a good phone, but that's a relevant fact to this story that was overlooked by Tom's.[/citation]
Yes, the phone is very impressive, but if you can't use it as a phone when you hold it, you can't really call it a phone anymore. Doesn't matter how smooth the interface is or how impressive the hardware is, it has a major flaw that affects its primary function (if you don't need a phone, just wait till the next iPod touch comes out).

Still, the biggest thing I see with this iPhone debacle is the fact that so many iPhone users still hold their phones. What ever happened to Bluetooth headsets? You're gonna drop $300 on your second or third iPhone, but you never got around to buying that headset for $100?

Status
Not open for further replies.