Consumer Reports: Panasonic Has Better 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation]The report also added that viewers can't watch 3D movies on the Samsung models while laying horizontally...[/citation]I guess Samsuck failed to account for couch potatoes (aka 99% of television watchers).

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I will never understand why LCD has been more successful than Plasma. I bought my 50" Panasonic S1 plasma for $740 plus tax at Sears in Jul 2009(took advantage of stackable coupons, plus a sale). Sale price was $999 before coupons. There is no LCD (even $2,000+)out there that can compare in picture quality to this TV. So, it is no surprise to me that Plasma 3D looks betther than LCD 3D.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]maydaynomore[/nom]I will never understand why LCD has been more successful than Plasma. I bought my 50" Panasonic S1 plasma for $740 plus tax at Sears in Jul 2009(took advantage of stackable coupons, plus a sale). Sale price was $999 before coupons. There is no LCD (even $2,000+)out there that can compare in picture quality to this TV. So, it is no surprise to me that Plasma 3D looks betther than LCD 3D.[/citation]

LCD does have a few advantages. Less noise, heat and power consumption for example, or better performance for smaller screen sizes.

Plasma is generally better, but don't discount LCD.

Besides, since when is the best product the most common choice for consumers? IE still is the largest browser while Opera and Chrome together don't get 10% of the market. Another clear example of better quality not leading to market dominance.

Micropat

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
I got an acer gd245hq and unfortunately it has some of that double-imagery as well. My advice to anyone wanting to dive into 3D:
Don't rush it. Wait for more competition and technological refinement to get a good experience. IMHO 3D doesn't do much for games yet anyway but I've only played Mass Effect 2 in 3D.

G

"I will never understand why LCD has been more successful than Plasma."

Because Plasma uses a metric crap-ton of energy (in 65 models 755W to power up plasma vs 480W to power up LCD), EU and California are considering a ban on plasma TVs due to their high energy usage.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Yay for plasma. Really though, I would rather panasonic put out some thin bezel plasmas so I could hook them up with eyeinfinity. Just wish those darn Displayport-HDMI adapters weren't so expensive ^_^

Heoytes

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Laying horizontally while watching 3D essentially makes no sense. The scene is recorded/rendered with the cameras side-by-side, not up-and-down.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i love my plasma tv and will not be buying into this 3d fad for years.i payed out enough for my entertainment already.i do not need 3d on glasses.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
A reliable source of product reviews Consumer Reports is not. If I listened to their "opinions", I'd be driving a Kia (junk) and I'd own a Kenmore dishwasher (junk).

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Heoytes[/nom]Laying horizontally while watching 3D essentially makes no sense. The scene is recorded/rendered with the cameras side-by-side, not up-and-down.[/citation]

That's not how 3D works. Copied from Wiki because i don't know enough to explain it :p "To present a stereoscopic motion picture, two images are projected superimposed onto the same screen through different polarizing filters. The viewer wears low-cost eyeglasses which also contain a pair of different polarizing filters. As each filter passes only that light which is similarly polarized and blocks the light polarized in the opposite direction, each eye sees a different image. This is used to produce a three-dimensional effect by projecting the same scene into both eyes, but depicted from slightly different perspectives. Since no head tracking is involved, several people can view the stereoscopic images at the same time. Either linear or circular polarizing filters can be used, as long as different orientations (horizontal vs. vertical, or clockwise vs. counterclockwise) are used for each eye."

santeana

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2003
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]A reliable source of product reviews Consumer Reports is not. If I listened to their "opinions", I'd be driving a Kia (junk) and I'd own a Kenmore dishwasher (junk).[/citation]
Actually I've had my kenmore dishwasher for 11 years now. Still works great. :p

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Ehh for fixed Resolutions LCDs are great! Plasma is much better at making low quality video that is really pixelated look a lot better.

G

i am looking forward to an oled 3d tv when sony stop fapping with playstation move and get on with it.

dupaman

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
[citation][nom]plasmaguy[/nom]...in 65 models 755W to power up plasma vs 480W to power up LCD[/citation]
I know it's not directly comparable, but a 55" 7 Series Samsung tv (LED backlit)we recently got pulls around 90W at the wall with the backlight set to 5 (mid). I've checked some comparably sized plasma TVs' manuals online and they specify ~700W consumption as well. I don't care if the blacks are a bit darker on the plasma or if it has a "600Hz" refresh rate, I'm not gonna accept an order-of-magnitude increase in power consumption...

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]dupaman[/nom]I know it's not directly comparable, but a 55" 7 Series Samsung tv (LED backlit)we recently got pulls around 90W at the wall with the backlight set to 5 (mid). I've checked some comparably sized plasma TVs' manuals online and they specify ~700W consumption as well. I don't care if the blacks are a bit darker on the plasma or if it has a "600Hz" refresh rate, I'm not gonna accept an order-of-magnitude increase in power consumption...[/citation]
That's maximum power draw, not typical power usage. (like saying a 260hp car engine is always generating 260hp) You need a Kill-a-watt to check actual power usage.

Maybe you can take yours and check out a store that will let you unplug their demo units.

Status
Not open for further replies.