Consumers Prefer PS4 Over Xbox One for Holidays, Poll Finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amdlova

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
A full 64 percent of those surveyed by Reuters had no plans to invest in any kind of new hardware, be it a PS4, a Nintendo 2DS or a Steam machine. (new nintendo 2DS ) or 3DS?

Amdlova

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
A full 64 percent of those surveyed by Reuters had no plans to invest in any kind of new hardware, be it a PS4, a Nintendo 2DS or a Steam machine. (new nintendo 2DS ) or 3DS?

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
One other big reason: between the PS3 and the XBOX 360 the PS3 was the system that fit a more mature lifestyle. It could play blu-ray discs and had a more professional menu system. That culture has grown over time and the result is poll outcomes like this.

Other thought: Considering Windows 8's modest adoption... how would you like to have that rotten sore migrate to your console too?

Joseph Leal

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Wait, so if I'm reading this right, only 408 of the total 1297 people surveyed were under 40? So how is this poll even relevant.....

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Sony made less mistakes this time so they are in a better position to be the top console like the PS2 was. These cycles tend to repeat with every major product generation and happen in other industries (AMD vs. Intel, iPhone vs. Android, Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD). Maybe M$ will be back on top next time.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Sony is still one firmware update away from erasing any promises they have made to increase pre-order and release day sales. They have the track record. I'm highly skeptical, and interested to see where everything is at within the next year.

fudoka711

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
Well, even though the article decided to focus on under 40 year olds (those that would likely be playing on the console), it didn't focus on who who actually have the money to buy one. Of course anyone 18+ probably can get the money to buy a console, I'm sure most of the purchases will end up being gifts for the holiday season. Under that logic, more parents will still buy their kids the xbox (rather than switch) because its more recognizable to them and they don't have to do anything special with the membership.

Having said that, maybe with parents becoming more tech savvy and kids wielding even more influence over their parents' purchase decisions these days - PS4 sales could indeed top that of the XBONE. Maybe the PS4 will be the new PS2?

edogawa

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
This poll is not very legitimate, like many others, I can promise millions of consoles will sell. 1297 people is so small and irrelevant, are these avid gamers, casual gamers? You need to sample the gamer base at a large, in the thousands.

I am a PC gamer only, but I might just buy a PS4 since it's priced so well offering a lot features, I spend more on a single GPU, so why not!?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
well it is a given that the ps4 would be the favorite because of its price tag. the initial raging infernal hatred of the XB1 isnt helping MS either. I myself prefer the ps4 for its features and game developer support, AND its price tag. Im not buying any this holiday since my ps3 is still kicking as my media/blueray player. in a year or 2 I might replace it and give my ps3 away to some kid.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
My Launch Edition PS4 is already on pre-order with Amazon. It will arrive on my doorstep the same day it becomes available for purchase.

The couple of exclusive 360 games I really like are no longer exclusive. I had both a Xbox 360 and a PS3, but I sold my 360 after realizing I hadn't used it for several months.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Cause askig for subscription when I start my browser is such a good idea, you Microsoft, you...

PS
And good job in previous generation, Xbox Live Gold suckers...

alerodsan77

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I don't think an online survey is going to reflect the definitive outcome

1) If you took the time to answer an online survey regarding this issue is likely that you are interested in the issue, so the ones who answered that were going to buy a console will be aware of all the development and the Microsoft mishaps along the road, so that could explain the tilt

2) Unlike PC users, the majority of console users are not really aware of whats going on, and just buy things by impulse. Is likely that if you have a Xbox 360 youll be picking a XONE, this also works for Sony, the base of Microsoft console owners is bigger, so they will sell more consoles

3) During the initial months Microsoft consoles will be more available due to a better supply chain

4) Im not sure what to think about the elasticity of de 100 USD spread between the consoles and Microsoft bigger day one titles, I think they won’t be determined

Even as I will be buying a PS4, I'll bet that Microsoft is going to maintain a greater user base, but the gap is going get closer over the time

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Whatever happen to random sampling? This just concludes the likelihood of individuals that frequent Reuters website willing to buy these consoles...

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
this article has bias or just repeating rumours as fact. The xbox one will indeed be able to turn off or pause the Kinect 2 sensor. (http://kotaku.com/xbox-ones-kinect-can-turn-off-microsoft-says-noting-510100564) And it is a bit misleading to drop the notion that PS4 users will now have to pay a year subscription for online play just like the xbox one. Instead, there is just a sub note that well the music will be free and streaming (which yes, is definitely good). Not to mention the assumption that reuters is big so indeed it must be a totally random sample. pshhhhh.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
This is a no brainer, I also blame that horrible Win 8 crapola for the crapbox one's failure and not even released yet. I game on PC which owns both so called next gen consoles anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.