Consumers Prefer PS4 Over Xbox One for Holidays, Poll Finds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I think these surveys are pretty much bunk. They take a very small sample size and assume from there when the population changes per area. People on the east coast don't like the same things people on the west coast like.

That said, I will just stick with my PC. Already more powerful than the "next-gen" consoles.

Does that make my PC "future-gen"?

JeffroKill

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
That sounds like misinformation to me. I have both the PS3 and the Xbox350. The Playstation was terrible; just an overpriced Blu-Ray player. Playstation has been irrelevant for the last 7 years or so while Xbox has had total domination over the console scene. Millions of Xbox fans will certainly be returning to the franchise. I will be playing mine on November 22nd.

FlameRider360

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Yeah because we don't want microsoft anymore they basically fuck people and we have had it we are not dealing with their shit nanymore

Eisbrecher34

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
I am in the boat where I am a PC gamer first and foremost, but the article is about PS4 v XBOX1. That being said, I think that the PS4 is the better choice and the poll probably is correct. Unlike the PS3 problems that Sony had, which included a bad price at launch, constant tweaks to the hardware, the hacking incident, poor marketing techniques, etc.. they have done everything right with the PS4 while Microsoft has dropped the ball big time. You don't start making people mad before the system is even out and try telling them what they want, its the other way around. The consumer will tell you what you want and you should listen. Sony did that this time around and I think gained a lot of traction. Add on top of that the cheaper price and the known Playstation exclusives and I think most people should prefer it. I'm a little sad because the PS3 had so much potential that was never utilized and now with the PS4 its a completely different architecture and design, but it is what it is and I'm excited for it. I wont be buying it when it first comes out because I do enjoy PC gaming better, but down the road when i do get another console, at least as of right now, I will definitely be going with a PS4 and not an XBOX1.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
"2) Unlike PC users, the majority of console users are not really aware of what's going on, and just buy things by impulse. Is likely that if you have a Xbox 360 you'll be picking a XONE, this also works for Sony, the base of Microsoft console owners is bigger, so they will sell more consoles"

But you forget, a good portion of 360 owners and their parents are quite unhappy with microsofts quality control with the 360, I've heard several people saying their skipping the new xbox for just that reason, it costs these people a lot of money to keep their xbox going because usually repairs are out of warranty. My guild leader in FFXI has it "constantly" burn out, and is quite displeased.

As for things like parents, their gullible and naive on the average, I think the cost will sway them the most (Which deeply hurt sony with the PS3 launch that MS quickly took advantage of), and the as marketing suggests, the number on the box.

People are more likely to buy a bigger numbered object then a smaller one because they feel it's newer and more powerful, so to them, Playstation 4 would be a better buy then an xbox one just purely off the name alone. I'm surprised this passed microsoft's marketing team... And then I look at win8.. (Love it or hate it, metro was not something consumers wanted, and it's easily reflected in sales.)

As for kids, thats difficult, they pretty much go where their friends are, they've little brand loyalty like older gamers. So if their friends are getting a PS4, that's likely where they will go too. Microsoft soured a lot of relationships with their initial reveal, and those have yet to mend, but most prominent among the older gamers and parents.

I'm also curious how non-gamer parents (Gamers have already acted unkindly) will react to kinect being more mandatory, maybe not absolutely required anymore but still omnipresent specifically when you consider the recent NSA reveals about spying and prism, kinect can easily be seen as the most top solution to spying on america, and thus by belief, a scary object in eroding what remains of privacy.

vidfreek

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
Its too early to tell whats going to happen, but if its truly random the only number that anyone should worry about is the 64% of people that arent even bothering with "next gen" yet. If thats a true example of how people are going to care this holiday season, both Sony and Microsoft got a lot of work to do to get people to switch, but when you have games like GTA V still coming out on both the PS3 and 360, people dont have a reason to fork out another $400-$500 plus controllers and games, right now. There is still a lot of good stuff coming to both current gen consoles so I think this will be a slow start from the getgo.

As for someone saying that the PS4 pre-orders sold out right away and the Xbox One's took weeks, you obviously didnt pay attention, I waited quite a while to get a pre-order because both my Gamestops and Amazon and every where else I checked were initially sold out of pre-orders, more came through because Microsoft didnt start out with a BIG set of available pre-orders like Sony did, they added more as time went on and Sony had more from the get go, both are doing well on pre-orders, supposedly both having record pre-orders, but of course until real numbers come out, we wont know that for sure anyways.

Whatever you choose (I'm going with the Xbox One first and for now) it will be a great gaming system, the "war" is always stupid, just get what you like and enjoy it, right now Sony isnt bringing anything I care about over Dead Rising 3, Titanfall and Ryse, I'm sure later they will but Sony's launch line up sucks IMO and its why I'm waiting for later to get a PS4, if I even need one

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
god I hate this new comment system... it tells me error when I try to post then i refresh the page 10 or 20 times to see if it actually did post and when I see it didnt in fact post I post my comment again and poof... double post... what a hunk of shit this comment system is.

Status
Not open for further replies.