Solved! Continuous Beeping on Sattelite P775 Laptop

bslug205

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
This just began today. The 3 times with both FF and GC browsers running, the machine will start a staccato-like beeping that last from 15-30 seconds then stops. No freezes, no issues at startup, just random. Note, the volume was muted each time but when this occurs the volume comes on and shoots to max. And now for the 4th time it is doing it and it is not stopping.

Solution
Well if it is a hardware issue, you should still get the beeping, even in "Safe Mode". If you get no issues in "Safe Mode" then I would be looking at software.

bslug205

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

It's not a solid beep. As I said it's staccato. When it occurs it's a constant very very fast beeping that lasts up to a minute or so. This morning I logged in, had no browser or other apps open. I pulled up a text file to edit and bam - it started. Even though I had the volume muted, as the beeping continued the volume shot up to max. I kept muting it to no avail and running the little scroll button to low, but it would just climb to the top of the volume. It occurs whether my volume is off or on. Again, it stopped after a minute. I generally leave the laptop on and log out when I'm not using it, however this has not occurred when I'm logged out the box is sitting and on. I'm suspecting sound card perhaps, but that's just a guess. I may try disabling the card for a short time. Thanks for your assistance!

Have you tried using the computer in "Safe Mode" to see if the issue occurs there? You can't access a lot of things when in "Safe Mode", but it will help with narrowing down the issue to be hardware, software, etc.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

bslug205

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

bslug205

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
Have not booted into safe mode as yet but I'll try that as well. Sorry for the delayed responses, I'm in and out a lot during the day. I'll post back with some results. Thx!

bslug205

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
In Win 7 this morning and the issue occurred 3 more times over a few hours. I cannot duplicate any particular action(s) that may be involved as a cause. I went ahead and checked performance and resources via the task manager and see nothing unusual such as high memory or cpu use however I did so between occurrences. Next time I will take a look during the beeping. While at it I also ran through device mgr and checked for conflicts, old drivers, etc., for audio, keyboard and video cards. Nothing unusual showed up. I've been in SafeMode/Netw for the last hour and have had no issues w/ beeping, however by default the audio is disabled in SM, at least on this box so I'm not sure if beep codes will work in SM because of that. Still searching for answers. Thx!

PS. I found the instructions for enabling sound in Safe Mode and did so. Thought it would be useful regardless.. I will report back.