Convert DVD's to AVI or MP4 format and make them smaller than 7GB??

jpassie

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
When I was on deployment in 2010 my buddy game me a lot of movies that are in the 700MB size and up to around 2GB. And now I want to convert my DVD's that I own to this format and make them smaller to around that size (that way I don't own 150 DVD's anymore and just have them on an external HD). I'm not very tech savvy but, I'm trying haha. Just curious if anyone can tell me how to do this. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -Josh

Solution
Play around with the Presets on the right-hand side of the main screen of Handbrake. Selecting "Normal" will result in a smaller file, bu if you check "Normal", then after you select your Source (or source folder), check out the Audio tab. It defaults to mp3 at 160 kbps on the "Normal" preset. It won't hurt to up that to 256 or 320. Better audio and it won't affect the file size much. Good luck!

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
You first need to "rip" the DVDs. Personally, I use AnyDVD, which rips them to ".VOB" files, but AnyDVD costs money after 30 days. There are free rippers available, I'm just not up on them because I've owned AnyDVD for so many years now.

Once the DVDs are ripped, and most will be around 7 GB (dual layer DVDs), the best thing I've found for re-encoding them using H.264, which is much more efficient than what is used for DVDs or blu-rays, is HandBrake. And it's FREE! You can get a 7 GB DVD down to anywhere from 650 MB to 1.3 GB, depending on how aggressive you set the settings (after you rip it first, DVDs are encrypted with an old encryption that has been broken for many years). I have yet to find anything that HandBrake could not re-encode. I love that program, I can't say enough good about it.

http://handbrake.fr/

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
I've encoded hundreds of, if not a thousand, videos using HandBrake and never had a problem. What are the specs of your PC? What CPU and GPU (graphics card, integrated or discrete) do you have? How much RAM? All of these could affect what's happening.

[EDIT: Just out of curiosity, what format was the file in after you ripped it, before you fed it into Handbrake? And on the right-hand side of the Handbrake main screen, Presets, did you have it set to Regular, then either Normal or High? And you should not select anything under Devices in Presets on the right]

jpassie

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I have a MacBook Pro but, when I tried HandBrake I didn't "rip" the DVD first so I'm assuming that was where the issued lied. But, as for when I used HandBrake I didn't change any of the settings.

jpassie

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I just tried using MacX DVD Ripper Mac free edition and it only rip like the first 15 minutes. I'm at a loss man. Thanks for your help, I do truly appreciate it. Haha I guess I wasn't meant to do this kind of stuff. But, again thank you for your help

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Sorry I can't help with Macs, but if you ever get to the point where you can rip an entire DVD, free of encryption, then Handbrake will do the job. VLC Media Player might be able to rip DVDs, it can certainly play them, and it rips audio CDs into mp3s.

jpassie

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I finally got it!! Haha it took a little while but, somehow managed to get it. I'm using MacX DVD Ripper Mac free edition and its ripping them, then HandBrake is doing the rest!!! Thank you again for your help

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Play around with the Presets on the right-hand side of the main screen of Handbrake. Selecting "Normal" will result in a smaller file, bu if you check "Normal", then after you select your Source (or source folder), check out the Audio tab. It defaults to mp3 at 160 kbps on the "Normal" preset. It won't hurt to up that to 256 or 320. Better audio and it won't affect the file size much. Good luck!

Solution