Question Possibly Incorrect Category for Post, but ... .scr or .asw to video format?

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Hello all (mods, if incorrect category, please advise or move post? TY).

Not sure where to post, but I have an image file I added simple animations to, and made into a screensaver, with a third-party app. If i can get it into an .avi format, I can use another app to run it as an animated desktop wallpaper <-- Holy Grail Desired End Result. :)

Option 1: HOW do i 'convert' an .asw or .scr file to a video? (Once it is a video, I can get it to the desired .avi). I finally even screen recorded it, but the lighting on it is pretty bad. I've Googled and tried the Stack Overflow responses. No luck.

Option 2: I discovered that there is an old trick where you would run a /p25556 command in .cmd, and the currently installed screensaver used to be able to run on old systems (up to Vista) - AS WALLPAPER. I tried it on my Win 10 system and it kind of worked when I both installed the .scr and also moved the .scr file to Windows 32 Folder. I say "KIND OF", because I know it worked and that it wasn't just the screensaver being activated because I use an extra third-party Taskbar called "Linkbar", AND IT STAYED on TOP while the desktop animation was running. It did not, however, keep desktop icons or the original (Windows) taskbar on the screen.

Does anyone have any idea how to make my animated wallpaper "happen"?

Thank you.

--------------------------------------

Edit (I don't see an option to delete this post).
I reposted under Off-Topic discussions as 'm pretty sure this section is not the correct one. Thanks! :)

Last edited:

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Hello all (mods, if there is a better category for this question please advise or move post? TY).

Not sure where to post, but I have an image file I added simple animations to, and made into a screensaver, with a third-party app. If i can get it into an .avi format, I can use another app to run it as an animated desktop wallpaper <-- Holy Grail Desired End Result. :)

Option 1: HOW do i 'convert' an .asw or .scr file to a video? (Once it is a video, I can get it to the desired .avi). I finally even screen recorded it, but the lighting on it is pretty bad. I've Googled and tried the Stack Overflow responses. No luck.

Option 2: I discovered that there is an old trick where you would run a /p25556 command in .cmd, and the currently installed screensaver used to be able to run on old systems (up to Vista) - AS WALLPAPER. I tried it on my Win 10 system and it kind of worked when I both installed the .scr and also moved the .scr file to Windows 32 Folder. I say "KIND OF", because I know it worked and that it wasn't just the screensaver being activated because I use an extra third-party Taskbar called "Linkbar", AND IT STAYED on TOP while the desktop animation was running. It did not, however, keep desktop icons or the original (Windows) taskbar on the screen.

Does anyone have any idea how to make my animated wallpaper "happen"?

Thank you.