Convert ExternalSSD to Internal SSD

edlaw88

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
Hello,

I am new on this website although I have used this forum many times to get useful information.

I am building my own desktop computer using an external Western Digital My Passport Storage Drive USB 3.0 / 1TB (it is a ''Basic'' My Passport formatted NTFS for Windows 7, 8) and obviously an internal Hard Drive to save my data.
Because of a restricted budget I was wondering if there is any way to connect this external storage drive with one of the serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connector of my motherboard Asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 in order to use it as an internal SSD Drives and run Windows 7 or 8 faster than when installed on a Hard Drive.

Thank you for your help!

Solution
It's not going to be any faster. At best, your Passport's drive is running at 7200 RPM, which is pretty standard among mechanical drives and is likely what your current HDD runs at. More likely, it will be a 5400 RPM drive since it was designed for storage and not regular use, in which case it will run slower than your current HDD (assuming that one runs at 7200). It probably won't even be able to fully utilize SATA 3.0 (6 Gb/s) because it wasn't designed for that.

Between the effort of taking it apart, figuring out any adapters needed, and getting a tray for it (because it will be a 2.5" laptop drive and won't fit in your standard 3.5" HDD slot), it really just isn't worth it. You're better off just buying a 1TB internal drive for...

edlaw88

Estimable
Sep 25, 2014
I thank you for your answer. Yes, it is also what I was thinking but I saw you could convert internal SSD to external SSD so why it won't be possible to do the opposite? Even if my passport is not an SSD it still have external memory I could maybe use internal. Don't you think I could find a SATA adapter for my WD Passport USB 3.0 Cable in order to connect it directly to my motherboard? And maybe have a faster connection than with my HDD.

According to this other tom's guide post : ''You can get a USB 3.0 to eSATA Adapter and that should do the trick. You shouldn't have any real performance loss by doing so.''
Do you think it could apply to my WD passport as well??

I found a video on Youtube which explain how to disassemble a Western Digital MyPassport.

Thanks for your help!

It's not going to be any faster. At best, your Passport's drive is running at 7200 RPM, which is pretty standard among mechanical drives and is likely what your current HDD runs at. More likely, it will be a 5400 RPM drive since it was designed for storage and not regular use, in which case it will run slower than your current HDD (assuming that one runs at 7200). It probably won't even be able to fully utilize SATA 3.0 (6 Gb/s) because it wasn't designed for that.

Between the effort of taking it apart, figuring out any adapters needed, and getting a tray for it (because it will be a 2.5" laptop drive and won't fit in your standard 3.5" HDD slot), it really just isn't worth it. You're better off just buying a 1TB internal drive for about $50.

Solution