Cooling Mod: Intake under keyboard

specter51095

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
So i have an acer aspire 5552g
(amd phenom II x4 n970 @ 2.2ghz 4gb ram radeon 6650m graphics [descrete graphics chip and vram but mounted on motherboard not in a seperate card] 500gb hard drive 1366x768 15.6" display)
and I have had it for about 4 months now it has always been powerful enough to run most every game (exept crysis *sigh*) on max settings @ the internal display resolution however, the components (mostly the cpu) run very hot. (cpu avg temp 97c tj-maxx 105c gpu avg 87-9c depending on program tj-maxx 110c. i know its safe at these temps but i still dont like it)

So the whole reason i thought of this was because when i broke my screen (dont carry laptops in backpacks without cases and with lots o crap kids) i disasembled the laptop to replace the screen and i figured while i was at it i would replace the thermal compound with some tuniq tx-3.

so before i re-assembled the notebook i decided to test everything out to make sure it worked before i put it back together. well the screen worked great (yey!) and i noticed a decent temp drop on cpu and gpu.(10c ish) i also noticed a drasticly increased airflow from the dinky little fan they have mounted on the heatsink. after looking at the design of the slits on the bottom of the notebook i found out 2 things

1: they are not exactly centered over the fan
2: they are not exactly big enough and dont cover the whole fan/restrict too much airflow

so for the sake of droping temps i was thinking about cutting the slits out to larger sizes. but then i noticed the blower style fan has an intake that is covered up by a plastic flap on the upper part of the shell. i covered that with a sheet of paper and continued my testing. just by adding that cover on the top of the fan the temps rose again by 7-8c.

that got me thinking.

1: if i add an intake under the keyboard it would drop my temps alot more so i can overclock my gpu higher =)
2: if i add an intake under the keyboard it would keep my wasd keys and the area arround it much cooler because of the cold air that is intaked over them =)
3: if i add an intake under the keyboard i wouldnt have to worry about the laptop overheating if placed on a surface like say my lap or bed that covers the bottom intake =D

so.
sorry that was kinda lengthy but anyway
i have dissasembled many keyboards in my day but never a laptop one
that plastic film cant be cut or they board wont work
so this post was basicly a project/question post
any adivce on acomplishing this task?
P.S. i will make a tutorial when im done and post pics =)

archp2008

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Have you made any progress since October? I have the same cpu in my aspire 7551G-7459. As I speak I have a 120mm Scythe Fan mounted betwelen my notebook and the desktop. Temps just maxed out at 68 cpu and 58mobo after 18 holes of Tiger Woods Golf. I could try BF3 which is also on there and see how hot it gets with that running. Do you have the recommended temps from Acer?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Emils0497 Laptop Tech Support 2
Dracorpius Laptop Tech Support 1
Levimolnar Laptop Tech Support 0
G Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 2
Z Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 2
A Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 1