Cops Use Facebook to Serve Order Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well, this would have been worthless if the guy said he never received the message nor seen the video. Just seem like a bad way of doing this...

Another thing I'm curious is how the police couldn't find the guy, I mean, he has a name and an internet connection, so he must get bills from an ISP and an electricity company, not mentioning having some way of getting money (either a job or own a small business). Shouldn't be that difficult to find the guy. Sounds more like the policemen were lazy and thought this would be easier.

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]sviola[/nom]Well, this would have been worthless if the guy said he never received the message nor seen the video. Just seem like a bad way of doing this...Another thing I'm curious is how the police couldn't find the guy, I mean, he has a name and an internet connection, so he must get bills from an ISP and an electricity company, not mentioning having some way of getting money (either a job or own a small business). Shouldn't be that difficult to find the guy. Sounds more like the policemen were lazy and thought this would be easier.[/citation]
Saved the taxpayers some money IMO. I would rather that than them using skynet to track down this abusive idiot.
sAVED S

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is ridiculous. They don't know where he lives and don't have his phone numbers and they cannot locate him? What the hell good is telling him over Facebook about warnings? They can't find him! He can do whatever the hell he wants!

G

Isn't letting someone else, including the police, use your account a violation of the Terms of Service?

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I think its a good idea; it isn't like Facebook actively regulates content anyway, so if the police steps in to fill the gap it could be a useful crime-fighting tool.

drutort

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
[citation][nom]Darkv1[/nom]Legal intervention orders sent via facebook? What next subpoenas? *Shudder*[/citation]

no next you will get them via sms/mms LOL

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
This is a terrible idea. There is no way to verify the person got the order.

This is as smart as sending them out by mail and then serving a bench warrant even though the address is wrong.

As a tax payer / freedom loving / fascist hating / believer in a fair judicial system... this is pure bullshit. Unfair, ultimately expensive in the legal aftermath and another slipper slope of eroded rights of a fair legal system.

Get a grip, this is a terrible idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.