Copyright Alert System Now Up and Running

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]The entertainment industry needs to learn that such draconian policies only hurt their bottom line. More than one study has found that the people who pirate the most buy the most. The only reason they're able to get away with illegal wiretaping like this is that the companies running the ISPs are generally the same one's worried about copyright.Do I illegally download stuff? Yes. But I also have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and Pandora accounts. The only time I'll "pirate" stuff is if I can't find it on one of these services, which is quite a lot. Maybe if I had access to the content I want when I want maybe I would have to "illegally" download it. I'm obviously willing to pay for it, piracy tends to be more hassle than it's worth.[/citation]

completely agree. if you take something out of circulation, by making it only available on dvd used, or vhs, or god forbid, you only have an early recording from a tv source i dont believe you should have the right to complain about piracy.

either actively make it available or shut up

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
I go see a ton of movies; I usually pirate a copy shortly thereafter to rewatch. After paying to see the Hobbit twice, i feel no guilt over downloading the brrip.

It is silly to think that the current model can last; I feel like there is a room full of elderly, rich, white men blaming piracy on the abysmal opening weekend of the new jack and the beanstalk movie.

Let me buy the movie at the same time as the theatre, and my piracy will drop significantly.

As for games, i pirate a lot; but i own upwards of 500.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
How this works: like any other program that is set to detect actions, this looks for certain patterns. Even torrents pull all their information from a certain set of systems, albeit a very large set. In theory it shouldn't be hard to set up algorithms to search out certain patterns of access, as well as certain direct points of access (i.e. a specific website). It wouldn't be much different functionally from a virus protection program or the way web browsers can warn you before you enter a specific website that it may be infected with malware. There is little chance these companies are going to hire a bunch of people ahead of time to sit and look at the internet access streams for millions of people.

Function: This is mostly intended as a scare tactic. The sophisticated criminals will have means of circumventing these measures and thereby adjust their means. Most will either do so, or will give up simply for not wanting to jump through the hoops. The passive criminals will adjust their actions, use up their strikes limit to make one last big haul, see if they can pick out a "safe" sight, or give up altogether. The calculus bets on the idea that there are a lot more passive criminals than there are sophisticated criminals.

Lets face it, stealing copyrighted or private material over the internet has become like speeding and red-light running - everyone knows they're not supposed to do it, that it's a crime, but still you have so many doing it anyway. So, what happens? The cops set up speed traps, red-light cameras, and increase patrols. Just saying those are our there deters a lot of speeders. A few who don't pay attention to the warnings get busted. Same thing here really. Most will stop running red-lights or speeding, while some will get those little radars in their cars to warn them when a police car is in the area.

sugetsu

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
What if I use Protocol Encryption to Forced and uncheck incoming legacy connections in Utorrent? Can the ISPs still know what I am downloading?

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I guess nobody thought of creating perfectly valid reason for people not to pirate the content, like creating more jobs with good salaries so that people could actually afford the stuff, or at least reducing the price so that people could actually afford the stuff without a second thought...

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Personally, I would not be surprised to hear of someone figuring out an easy way to defeat this.[/citation]

It's extremely easy to "beat'". Get a VPN service that encrypts all your data, hides your true ip address and doesn't keep any logs. I personally use one for complete privacy no matter what I'm doing. It only costs me $40/year and I can have up to 3 devices connected at a time.

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]jonyah[/nom]It's extremely easy to "beat'". Get a VPN service that encrypts all your data, hides your true ip address and doesn't keep any logs. I personally use one for complete privacy no matter what I'm doing. It only costs me $40/year and I can have up to 3 devices connected at a time.[/citation] btw, I don't p2p, so this won't affect me anyway. I just prefer to know that my activity online is private. I don't care to have my employeer watching me or my ISP (verizon fios).

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jonyah[/nom]It's extremely easy to "beat'". Get a VPN service that encrypts all your data, hides your true ip address and doesn't keep any logs. I personally use one for complete privacy no matter what I'm doing. It only costs me $40/year and I can have up to 3 devices connected at a time.[/citation]

What about speed? Is the speed the same with a VPN? 40 bucks a year is nothing.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]sugetsu[/nom]What if I use Protocol Encryption to Forced and uncheck incoming legacy connections in Utorrent? Can the ISPs still know what I am downloading?[/citation]
VPN or nothing

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
This is all a very good policy. These policies basically prevent Trolls from litigating against the average Joe. The US is ahead of the game and this takes courts and lawsuits out of the picture for household internet use. The government is basically saying "This is as far as we'll let the copyright holders go...and no further."

This will also force content holders to finally modernize their business model, and will promote competition which imho is good for the consumer.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Problem with using p2p (such as torrents) is "copyright" holders use 3rd party companies to monitor specific torrents. Take a movie like The Avengers. You download it via torrent. Your computer connects to another "peer"... 3rd party monitoring company seeding the torrent who then sees your IP address on peer list. They determine which ISP the IP belongs to and forwards the violation to your ISP (or VPN provider). Eventually the violation works its way to you via your ISP.

The solution? Don't use P2P. Usenet instead.
PeerBlock helps too.

andfdfenfsef

Dec 31, 2001
They are just connecting to the swarm, logging IPs and then sending it to the ISPs that those IPs are 'stealing'. Done. They are not tracking how much you download/upload, tracking your patterns, etc. The copyright industry hires someone to do this for them.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
you know the $50,000 pieces of communication equipment hanging outside buildings and towers and such. retaliation would be easy.

hell even a used HDD magnet would be enough to screw them over.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
people the ISPs arent directly monitoring your data. How it happens is that the ISP will be notified the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx was tracked downloading illegal content. They are notified by studios and governing bodies for the different industries. That ISP then matches said IP address to their customers account and sends them a notification. ISPs arent going to drop the money to actively monitor your traffic.

beachbod

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
suffer with a hijacked browser, and call a Comcast representative. All alerts will be sent by both email and an in-browser alert.
Lol, how are they going alert you through your browser? Inject code into your http requests? Thats messed up.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
This is pure BS policy they are implementing behind all of our backs.

What this article also does not tell you is to contest your presumed innocence you have to pay $35 for arbitration with some ISPs! Otherwise they will not even hear you out.

Contact your ISP by facebook(has legitimate use for once), twitter, phone or whatever and tell them how you really feel about it. Be polite but strongly express your opinion on how invasion of your privacy and nanny-ing or any sort of monitoring and draconian policies are against your beliefs as a paying customer. Threaten to cut off your services.

It should not be your or your ISP's job to police the internet. This system will be blatantly abused... who do they think they are to charge you for services and then deny them based on some lame excuse of an IP address without any concrete evidence!?

First reports of this "great" system at work:
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Six-Strikes-Firm-Flags-Game-Mods-as-Copyright-Violations-123368

Automatic system reporting game mod as infringement downloads.

Do the right thing before it is too late and tell MPAA and RIAA and your ISP to piss off!

Status
Not open for further replies.