Solved! Core i7 turbo boost

chengken

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
Hello,
where can i find the bios in laptop to activate turbo boost i own a hp dv6 laptop running on core i7 @1.6GHz

Solution

Turbo should be enabled by default. However, how much it increases the frequency will dependent on temperature of the processor and the load that you are putting on it. If your temps are too high, it will not activate. Also, if you are load all four cores, you will not see a speed above the 1.6ghz base speed.

Also see:
The maximum frequency of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 is dependent on the number of active cores. The amount of time the processor spends in the Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Any of the following can set the upper limit of Intel...

Turbo should be enabled by default. However, how much it increases the frequency will dependent on temperature of the processor and the load that you are putting on it. If your temps are too high, it will not activate. Also, if you are load all four cores, you will not see a speed above the 1.6ghz base speed.

Also see:
The maximum frequency of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 is dependent on the number of active cores. The amount of time the processor spends in the Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Any of the following can set the upper limit of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 on a given workload:

* Number of active cores
* Estimated current consumption
* Estimated power consumption
* Processor temperature

When the processor is operating below these limits and the user's workload demands additional performance, the processor frequency will dynamically increase until the upper limit of frequency is reached. Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 has multiple algorithms operating in parallel to manage current, power, and temperature to maximize performance and energy efficiency. Note: Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its rated upper power limit (TDP) for short durations to maximize performance.
http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/

Solution