Core webOS Enyo Team Jumps Ship to Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Meg is just continuing what Leo started; destroying HP from the inside. She's just doing it in a different method so people think she has an entirely different agenda. Long term results will be identical. Well it's either that or she's a raving idiot.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Lovely_Lisa[/nom]Meg Whitman is officially dumber than a box of rocks ... I wasn't quite convinced when she bought Skype while at eBay. Now I'm convinced. If you open-source your OS, you don't fire half the team, thinking "hey I just keep the good ones". Because, that's how they (the engineers) and your competition (Google) know that they are good. Google probably just saved millions in html5 development. And HP now has an OS that will probably die, losing their entire investment and losing the potential for any future revenue. Dumb ... dumb .... dumb.[/citation]

Don't forget, she said that she believes that Google is going to make Android closed-source. I think that her apparent ignorance (be it true or not) was already official.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
I would personally hope for some of WebOS' goodness making an appearance in Android. I bought a touchpad during the fire-sale. I absolutely love the design of the system, but the lack of app support pretty much forces people to install android on it in order to get the same functionality as other tablets.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
hopefully they continue to develop it. Sad that just as the webos devices began to die off, I ended up liking webos 3 more than android in terms of the UI.

If you have not used webos 3, it is worth trying out (at least try the emulator of it)

it it has one of the more well designed UI's (though the apps need improvement)

I would love for there to be an android version with the webOS shell

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Isn't this just google buying up the competition?

WebOS could have been a serious problem to android. But a company with can stop almost any rival.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Double post due to hyper link not working and removing text

Isn't this just google buying up the competition?

WebOS could have been a serious problem to android. But a company with $58billion in cash reserves can stop almost any rival.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]WebOS could be a very popular OS given the right TLC....I think HP doesn't know what to do with it....[/citation]
Think?

It's pretty damn obvious HP is handling it horribly. The OS is extremely great and can be made into the hands of the everyday person if it was handled by a company that can use it correctly and not a company that fumbles with it.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Too much drama. I'll just continue to "suffer" with my 3rd gen iPad.[/citation]
Well, look. While the iPad is not the platform of choice here at least iOS is fairly stable and device owners get updates on time. We may not have as much freedom to tinker with the OS as you WebOS and Android folks but for a lot of us that's not something we need or miss. IOS isn't the best, but its easy to use, stable, consistent, and it works.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Oh ho ho, sneaky move there Google. Intent on copying more ideas, I see.[/citation]

How is Google copying anything by hiring these people? That's a load of BS and you know it. Just because a company hires people who were previously working for another company doesn't mean that Google is going to copy ideas owned by HP. Google saw that HP had some good employees who would be wasting their time and skills at a company like HP, so in order to take advantage of their skills, Google hired them. There's nothing wrong with that and its not sneaky. I can't even think of a single large company who hasn't hired employees who've worked for other companies at some time. If you want to accuse Google of something because of their hiring of former HP employees, then you'll have to accuse all companies of something over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.