Corner broke off; hinge now unstable

tecknowledgist

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
hinge.jpg

I don't see how this possible. I think maybe someone dropped my computer on the corner and didn't say anything. Anyway, as you can see from the photo, the corner of my case has broken off and the hinge is now exposed. It actually looked as though a stiff hinge broke the corner of my laptop loose, but I don't know if that is possible.

In any case, this hinge is now sort of chewing up the plastic around it. I am able to carefully open and close the lid gripping the exposed hinge with pliers but otherwise the case starts to get bent out of shape.

I'm wondering if there's a way to rig this to make it stable again. I still have the corner chunk so I could glue it back in somehow... I'm also wondering if it makes sense to take the hinge out and if so, how to get it out.

My main concern right now is not doing any more damage to the machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

tecknowledgist

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I actually concluded that there was nothing wrong with the hinge, that someone must have knocked over the laptop.

I tried screwing the loose corner piece back in and gorilla gluing it but it didn't hold. I then used a high-strength epoxy and it's holding just fine. Thanks for your help.

If anyone else has this problem, to the hardware store and ask for a high strength epoxy that bonds to metal and hard plastic. Then follow the directions. This should do the trick.