Corsair SP2500 vs Edifier S330D

wicky woo

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I'm looking to spend in the 100 to 200 dollar price range for some new 2.1 or 5.1 audio systems.
It would seem my old z5500's kicked the bucket so if we could talk in comparison terms to those, that'd be helpful
I'm mostly wondering what would be better, either the corsair sp 2500, or the edifiers s330d. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has in mind anything that is better.
Side notes: I'm a bit of an audiophile, I have a good 7.1 sound card, digital dolby and all that jazz. I do enjoy strong base and nice quality, for I listen to loud music regularly
as well as watch movies and play many video games.

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Solution
I had the same decision to made, and I chose the Edifier.

I could have gotten the Corsair for around 60 bucks more, but upon looking at both products themselves, I had to turn away from the Corsair despite the extremely good reviews of their sound.

The LCD remote looks and feels like cheap plastic, and the volume knob is quite bad in terms of quality. The speakers themselves were quite solid, but the woofer is too big for my room.

On the other hand, Edifier has digital input, but no source selection (it selects source automatically base on priority). So when I turn on my ps3, my computer gets muted and there's no way to switch between these manually.

In terms of sound, everyone says the Edifier has decent mid and high but a weak...

edche

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I had the same decision to made, and I chose the Edifier.

I could have gotten the Corsair for around 60 bucks more, but upon looking at both products themselves, I had to turn away from the Corsair despite the extremely good reviews of their sound.

The LCD remote looks and feels like cheap plastic, and the volume knob is quite bad in terms of quality. The speakers themselves were quite solid, but the woofer is too big for my room.

On the other hand, Edifier has digital input, but no source selection (it selects source automatically base on priority). So when I turn on my ps3, my computer gets muted and there's no way to switch between these manually.

In terms of sound, everyone says the Edifier has decent mid and high but a weak bass. When I first got these (coming from a cheap logitech 2.1), I was worried about this, and it turns out to be quite true. But after some tweaking, I've found the sweet spot. I'd say it's a "balance sound", with the bass not being overly powerful. Positioning plays a big part on this as well. If you like games and movies and want room shaking explosions, you might want to think twice about this set.

In conclusion, if sound the your top most priority, you won't regret getting the sp2500. For me, the looks of the unit (that volume knob and piano finish :pt1cable: ), digital input outweighs the compromise in sound.

Solution
G

Hello.

I bought them because i saw a lot of good comments about them (from people that now i notice they have no idea of sound)

They are good for games and boom pew pew and if you feel like demolishing the whole building with your bass, but IT SUCKS SO MUCH for acoustic music, seriously. If you dont give a damn about it go buy them, but if you love music and want neat sound... STAY AWAY !!!! :fou:

Ryrynz

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
Hello.

I bought them because i saw a lot of good comments about them (from people that now i notice they have no idea of sound)

They are good for games and boom pew pew and if you feel like demolishing the whole building with your bass, but IT SUCKS SO MUCH for acoustic music, seriously. If you dont give a damn about it go buy them, but if you love music and want neat sound... STAY AWAY !!!! :fou:

I have to disagree, I have them connected to an X-fi Titanium HD with some good quality audiophile RCA cables. I have the processor set to no program and the EQ set to Jazz. Using foobar with a little noise sharpening, they sound pretty bloody good to me and I listen to a lot of bright soundtrack type music. It's probably just your settings, you should experiment more.