Could Nintendo Be Forced to Go iOS, Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Investors should shut the f**k up and learn some technological related knowledge so their rotten brain stops thinking on idiotic things like that.
Nintendo has hardware control, they own the whole chain of their business and it's retarded to make games for other platforms.
If they should make software for other platforms would be with the sole objective of getting more people using their devices and network.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I see alot of points in this guys claims, but I believe hes only trying to look at the bad side of the console. the console has the potential to make new experiences in gaming that I find may be very enjoyable. the new console is also a very big and glaringly obvious opportunity to make an official SNES and NES emulator and sell games for those older consoles through their online store. if nintendo makes official emulators, I know sales will skyrocket(regardless of there being free unofficial emulators for pc and phones). I honestly believe that if nintendo goes the ios/android route, theyll end up ruining their companies identity and uniqueness.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
HAHA, move along nothing to read here but some tard who thinks he knows things. Nintendo don't have to do anything, they are fine just the way there are and i hope to god i don't see them sell out like sega, enix ect.....ton of cash LOL. The companys he's talking about are up shi*s creek.

cbfelterbush

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2011
People can hem and haw over how Nintendo has botched this and that, but at the end of the day they still sell as many consoles as the other three. If not more. They basically invented, established, and perfected the mobile gaming segment with the likes of the GBA-SP. Though I do believe the resolution on the 3DS-XL could be doubled it still out games your i-pod, that makes calls. OR your bigger i-pod, or your slightly smaller but still big i-pod.

I realize this articles real intent is to suggest that Nintendo should release their software on other mobile platforms. However the Nintendo experience between hardware and software is nearly always great. They could certainly bolster the companies bottom line by releasing a flood of mobile content but how would that effect the long term positioning of the company.

Many refer to Apple as the most successful company of all time, only because they have been valued higher than anything else, however I submit that having a large bank account and droves of ignorant customers surely does not equate to success. Sustainability counts for quite a bit, And with Apple only able to innovate every ten or so years. We will see which of these companies should emulate the other. Apple did learn something from Nintendo, have Foxconn ODM it, then sell it on the cheap to the whole world. Well Apple didn't pick up the cheap yet.

-CB

TheViper

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Kevin, I'm really wondering if Tom's Hardware hasn't taken up an agenda against Nintendo. If I pull up a list of the most recent Nintendo based articles, they are only negative. I never see Tom's Hardware post any of the positive articles (and yes, they do exists, you smart asses).

The source article here strikes me as nothing short of useless. It's certainly not news. And anybody with any remote familiarity with the video game industry and the console could debunk the entire article from start to finish in minutes.

But worse is that Tom's Hardware not only gave this inane article a bigger audience than it should ever receive but that you actually agree with it. You've done your media outlet a disservice to itself by aligning yourselves with such idiocy.

For shame Tom's, for shame.

G

not going to happen the gamepad is fine the only mistake I feel nintendo made was gimping the hardware, should have had the console launch at 399$ and put that money to more ram and a more powerful cpu so it would be easier to develop for. Nintendo is the only company I could see still having a console in the future. Steambox or a variant or an Ouya with ps4/720 specs or hpcs will kill sony/microsoft console. I don't know if there will be a PS5 but would bet money that there will be no PS6, Nintendo might still be around. Microsoft could be too getting windows on every TV could be a viable future strategy for staying relevant.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]Filiprino[/nom]Investors should shut the f**k up and learn some technological related knowledge so their rotten brain stops thinking on idiotic things like that.Nintendo has hardware control, they own the whole chain of their business and it's retarded to make games for other platforms.If they should make software for other platforms would be with the sole objective of getting more people using their devices and network.[/citation]

The Wii U marks the first time that Nintendo has had "hardware control" since the N64. Starting less than 1 year after the Gamecube's release, Nintendo's console hardware has been successfully emulated twice during each console's production lifespan. It happened to the Gamecube and then expanded to the original Wii.

While moving to iOS and Android would certainly tarnish the exclusive image of Nintendo, at this point that's really all that it is; an image. It hasn't been reality for a long time, and suspicions are already arising that the Wii U will be the next console that Nintendo has produced that will be successfully emulated during its early production life cycle.

I would hate to see Nintendo move to mobile phones, but there is no way to deny the huge potential for profit if they do head in that direction. The only way to deny that would be a gamer's overprotective sense of nostalgia.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Filiprino[/nom]Nintendo has hardware control, they own the whole chain of their business and it's retarded to make games for other platforms.[/citation]

So it's OK for Nintendo to have a "walled garden" (complete control) but when Apple does it it's a bad thing?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
nintendo is a very proud company that wouldnt tarnish their "image" for the sake of profit. also nintendos president has already said that line that goes "over my dead body" when asked in regards to developing for other platforms. I firmly believe nintendo wont stoop down to making ios and android games.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
This whole article comes down to a single assumption. Nintendo won't make any money selling hardware. Strange since all they need to do is sell a single game to make money on the system, and everyone who buys one will at least buy one game or another. And if it's anything like the original Wii they will make money on the just the console itself within 18 months. Whereas Sony and Microsoft still lose money one nearly 8 year old consoles. Person who wrote the article hasn't got a clue, if you need any proof just look at this line (something that obviously can't happen):

I’ll probably end up returning the console after I’m done

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
That's nice. I could state my opinion is that Kevin has an ongoing relationship with sheep on some blog but that doesn't give it any credibility. People have to stop treating opinion pieces online like they actually matter. There are some valid complaints. The battery life on the gamepad is hilariously short, but it still works just as well plugged in. The menu screens lag terribly, probably because it's almost constantly running two screens. The games do not lag like this

Nintendo has been keeping afloat longer than most of the people trying to speak against them have been alive. MS and Sony may be behemoths of the industry, but both companies are suffering serious blows right now and will do whatever it takes to make their next console a cash cow, even if it means appealing to casual.

Either way, Nintendo's the one with the innovative idea. In an industry that's quite satisfied with stagnating and going "me too", they're trying something different. People said the same things about the Wii and it rolled to the bank with MS and Sony copying it eventually. Sure, you could perhaps find ways to stream content to a tablet screen like you can with Nintendo's Gamepad, but they make it so -easy- to do. This is a system that anyone, even the techtarded could watch TV while playing a game on. It's what a console should be, sleek and functional. They also have a much better network this time around that can support low priced games like Little Inferno as well as retail games which are also available for download.

Oh, and companies like Square Enix selling out to the mobile sector? Good luck with that. Square's put out nothing but overpriced remakes and FF branded garbage that people are already wary of buying. They're taking their last sellable franchise and turning it out for the last bit of profit. The fanbase that has kept them going is turning their back more and more. That is NOT the ideal of where someone wants to be going.

G

Nintendo has had one down year in its 120+ year history. I think it's doing ok.

Nintendo now has a higher market cap than Sony, yet I don't see you reporting on that....

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]tanjo[/nom]No, Nintendo will not end up like Sega.[/citation]
I guess you didn't read the article. Sega is doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.