Couple Names Baby After Facebook's 'Like' Button

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
I think people are missing the boat on this one, It is becoming more common to give babies 2 names, one more common first name that is not the legal name but rather more informal like (pardon the pun) Jill sandra doe, a informal name that is used at school and home but not the legal name, then a oddball name like, lol, Like some doe. This is done to help stop identity theft in their older years. I believe this is what is being done here.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Ibn Gozzy[/nom]I think the kid with @ as a name has it worse. However, in Hawaiian, "like" has a different pronunciation; lee-key (sorry, I don't know how to write like a dictionary-but you get the point). And it's spelled the same. At least that doesn't sound so bad.[/citation]

except you are now calling someone leaky, ironic for someone 70+ though

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]juncture[/nom]I guess this would be a bad time to say that my sister named her baby "Danger".[/citation]

No, that's an AWESOME name.

What is your name?
Jones. Danger Jones.

(music)

coffee_man

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]juncture[/nom]I guess this would be a bad time to say that my sister named her baby "Danger".[/citation]
LOOL!! hahaha thats a really nice name

imagine his son saying Danger is my middle name hahahhaa.

actually my middle name is "Fayez" which means winner, i always say winning is my middle name hahahhahahaha

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
They named their kid after a horrible tasting failed soda-pop?!? (Look it up, kiddies.) Another oldie for you kiddies - "do you like Like, Shane"... this kid may be responsible for the rebirth of the 80s valley girl dialect.

We will see if they allow this name - governments have been known to disallow names.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
LOL... Hey... that's what I'll name my kid! LOL! /sarcasm

Odd names are ok, but somtimes... people just go a little too far... at least Dvash sorta sounds like a name... and as far as the other kid goes... Eric Cartman said it best... No... More... Pie...

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]Can't believe people use this article to try and draw conclusions on parenting ability. Wow.[/citation]

Naming your kid after something they will be insulted for throughout there life shows poor parenting skills from the very beginning.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
How does retarded news like that even make it out into the world and hence on this site? Some people just look for fame and attention in spite of it all, slowly eating away at wherever meaningfulness still left in this pitiful world.

I call a one-to-one chance this Like will be a Big Brother contestant or whatever similar show will disgrace mankind some years from now.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Naming your kid after something they will be insulted for throughout there life shows poor parenting skills from the very beginning.[/citation]

I'd rather be the person being insulted for a name my parents gave me rather than the idiots insulting me because of my name. Children will make fun of anything.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Kamab[/nom]I'd rather be the person being insulted for a name my parents gave me rather than the idiots insulting me because of my name. Children will make fun of anything.[/citation]
Your personal preference is irrelevant to the debate. You cannot win an argument just by saying, "Well I would prefer living in a cave, therefore caves are better than houses."
Also, even if children will make fun of anything there is no reason for handing it to them on a silver platter.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]what's your name?Likeno, like what do you call yourself?Likeidiot[/citation]

At least she's not American. I can see that going really poorly...

"What's your name"
"It's like, Like."
"Like what?"
"Like Like, you know?"
"Your name is 'you know'?"

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Your personal preference is irrelevant to the debate. You cannot win an argument just by saying, "Well I would prefer living in a cave, therefore caves are better than houses."Also, even if children will make fun of anything there is no reason for handing it to them on a silver platter.[/citation]

Wooooosh.

That was the sound of an idea with morals passing over your head at mach .82

His point was that having a name that's made fun of only really matters to those who are making fun of it, and they are a sad lot. Who knows, maybe it will give the kid thick skin.

Meanwhile, this is far from the first oddball name given to a kid. Anyone remember the story of Winner and Loser? See: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/31/1027926917671.html Long story short, the boy named Winner has been in and out of jail his whole life, and the boy named Loser goes by Lou and is a successful career police officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.