Court to Debt Collectors: Stay Off Facebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]...or just don't use Facebook with your real data, or don't use it at all 8)Cheers![/citation]
You said it. Personally, I don't see a use for Facebook.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Pay on time and then you don't have to worry.[/citation]
You mean like how Cingular became AT&T and changed the terms of my contract, so I canceled. Then they sent a bill for a non-canceled contract which I resolved (including a final bill of $0)... which then 16 months later my mother (who cosigned for me) received a final collection notice from AFNI for the remainder of a canceled contract. Years of fighting them only resulted in AT&T saying "we don't own that debt [which never existed by their own paper work], there is nothing we can do" and AFNI saying "we don't care that you have provided us with paperwork proving this bill never existed, we bought a legitimate bill from AT&T and we have the right to collect it". Every time they added the damn thing back on my mom's credit report she'd have to send the credit reporting companies the packet of information and contest it (and it got removed). A couple years back they finally lost a lawsuit (believe it was class action) that caused the negative reporting to be permanently removed.

Point is, sometimes people do pay their bills on time. However, even if they don't, contacting all their facebook friends in order to shame them seems a bit... questionable.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]I don't know where (or if at all) you have a full time job; but debt collectors DO serve a purpose.In my opinion the scum bags of the earth are the people ordering from my company (where I'm a controller) and never end of up paying. We're talking upwards of 100k a year, and we are a relatively small company. I sympathize with you're parents position, and yes it sucks, but for the most part the scum bags are those people who want something for free. (read between the lines, STEALING)[/citation]

Here's the problem. When dealing with the majority of debt collectors, you are not dealing with higher life forms. Should people pay their debts? Of course. Are there people that go out of their way to avoid paying debts? Yes there are. However, there are many people who for whatever reason fall behind. An unanticipated layoff, medical issues, you name it. They want to pay their debts. The problem is you have these debt collectors who go above and beyond and actually harass, such as the case in this article. Here's a real life example, I had 2 roommates. Both of them owed money to the same place. They also couldn't pay rent. So I kicked them out. Here's the kicker, my home phone number was there number of record at this collection agency. So this lady calls for roommate 1. "I'm with so and so company, we're trying to get ahold of"....the usualy stuff. My response was, "they aren't here and I don't know where they are." I know, they've heard that before, but honestly I didn't. Ok, she calls back 5 min laters. Same woman, looking for roommate 2. Again, "Lady, i kicked them out, probably for the same reasons you're looking for them, stop calling". 5 min later, same woman. "Yes i'm a friend of *roommate 1*, do you know how to get a hold him?" My response, "Look, I have caller ID, at least hide your number if you're going to lie to me. I still don't know where either of them are" Now you would think that would be enough. No, the next day, same woman, (with phone number now hidden), "Yes, i'm a friend of...." This is the crap these people pull. It's ridiculous.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]Pay on time and then you don't have to worry.[/citation]
That is small consolation for John Smith, Lee Wong or Mohammed Singh who gets thousands of incorrect Facebook requests every day.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]They actually try to get people to pay back debts they have incurred? Isn't credit payback an option based on whether you feel like it, or have an excuse? These companies pay money to assume debts and then think they have the right to collect money to pay it back and thus stay in business? The nerve![/citation]
No, based on how utility companies do business the original debt is sold to the collector for around 85% of its original value as collecting themselves would cost more than 15%.
So the original company is happy.
In steps a person or company who are not as polite and some resort to illegal activities such as intimidation, bullying and harrassment.

The industry is awash with this practice and it has to stop.

G

The really pathetic issue here is that most debt collectors are pretty much low life's, themselves. These are people who haven't got sense enough, or either aren't fortunate enough to land a REAL job. So, they desperately jump at the chance to sit in a boiler room call center and read from a script all day over the phone. They're usually paid pretty crappy wages, too. Minimum wage and maybe a bonus or two at the end of the week IF they do a reasonably good job of collecting debts. But, most people who WANT to pay their bills have fallen on hard times, lost their jobs, or had an unfortunate illness (i.e. hospital bills) that have left them stranded...then some moron with less than a high school education calls you, uttering threats, demanding payment, etc. Many people just ignore them...and it's too easy to wait for them to stumble - then we can sue THEM!

G

HOW IS IT LEGAL FOR CREDIT CARD COMPANIES AND OTHER LENDERS TO PROVIDE PERSONAL INFORMATION TO SCAVENGER DEBT COLLECTORS? AS I UNDERSTAND IT, THE SCAVENGERS CAN ACCESS YOUR INFORMATION TO BEGIN THE COLLECTION PROCESS FOR JUST PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR. ISN'T THE RISK BUILT IN TO THE HIGH RATES YOU PAY FOR CREDIT CARDS, AND HOW IS IT ETHICAL OR JUSTIFIABLE FOR THE SCAVENGER WHO HAS PAID $00.01 ON THE DOLLAR TO COLLECT THE FULL AMOUNT ISSUED BY THE PRIMARY CREDITOR AND KEEP IT ALL? THE PRIMARY CREDITOR FOR EXAMPLE, LITERALLY SOLD THE WRITTEN OFF DEBT FOR $100.00, THE SCAVENGE COLLECTS $5000.00, PLUS FEES AND INTEREST. THEY CAN TAKE YOU TO COURT, CALL YOUR EMPLOYER, FRIENDS, NEIGHBORS, AND FAMILY MEMBERS TO EMBARRASS YOU. THEY CAN GARNISH YOUR WAGES AND PLACE LIENS ON YOUR PROPERTY. THAT'S IS THE SAME AS IF I FIND YOUR WALLET, PICK IT UP USING 1% OF MY ENERGY TO DO IT, AND CLAIM IT IS MINE BECAUSE I HAVE A 1% INTEREST FOR PICKING IT UP. WHO WRITES AND APPROVES THESE FINANCIAL LAWS? I WANT THEIR NAMES, AND JUST WHO IT IS THEY CLAIM TO REPRESENT!

G

I love the predictable comments from those that "pay the debt and there is no problem". I can only hope you are in their shoes one day soon. Do you expect people to have a crystal ball to predict the financial future?

SOMETIMES PEOPLE CANNOT HELP WHAT HAPPENS! Thank god the country is not run by idiots, and people have a RIGHT to declare insolvency to get VULTURES off their back.

Status
Not open for further replies.