Solved! Cpu upgrade for dell n5010 with rPGA989 socket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2019
i have a dell inspiron 15r n5010 laptop. My motherboard model is 0WXY9J with HM57 chipset and the socket is rPGA989. i want to upgarde my cpu. i am currently on intel core i5 480M . i already know that i can only upgrade to the first gen processors but i have seen on the internet that socket rPGA989 can take both G1 and G2 compatible processors. so i want to upgrade to core i7-3632QM which is compatible with G2 socket and its TDP is 35w.
so can i upgrade to core i7 2nd or 3rd gen processor with TDP of 45w or lower? i mean it should work.

Solution
Laptop CPU upgrades are not very straightforward since sockets that may work don't always due to motherboard design and BIOS limitations. First make sure you are on the latest BIOS. Then swap the CPU and see if it works. Or do a bit of internet searches for your model and see if anyone upgraded one that can confirm what works.
Laptop CPU upgrades are not very straightforward since sockets that may work don't always due to motherboard design and BIOS limitations. First make sure you are on the latest BIOS. Then swap the CPU and see if it works. Or do a bit of internet searches for your model and see if anyone upgraded one that can confirm what works.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.