CPU upgrade question

jb2559

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
I will be upgrading my CPU from an Intel Core 2 Duo T5670 1.80 GHz to an Intel Core 2 Duo T94002.53 GHz. I need to know if I need to upgrade the BIOS and if so do I do that before changing the CPU or after?

Solution
To answer the first question, one would need to know the make/model of the motherboard. The second question is easy; before. You always want to update before you try the new CPU. Otherwise, you won't be able to boot in order to do the update.

I would update the BIOS anyway, just to be safe. The T5670 was launched Q2'08, the T9400 Q3'08. So they are quite close together. Chances are, they use the same BIOS. But I can't say for sure.

clutchc

Distinguished
To answer the first question, one would need to know the make/model of the motherboard. The second question is easy; before. You always want to update before you try the new CPU. Otherwise, you won't be able to boot in order to do the update.

I would update the BIOS anyway, just to be safe. The T5670 was launched Q2'08, the T9400 Q3'08. So they are quite close together. Chances are, they use the same BIOS. But I can't say for sure.

Solution