Crackling noise on passive speaker

kyriakosso

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016
Hello everyone! I hope you are well.

I have bought 2 Skytronic 12" Speakers, 400W each, and they used to be working fine a while ago. One of them is an active speaker, and the other one a passive speaker. The active speaker is connected to the laptop using an rca to aux cable, and the passive speaker is basically connected to the active speaker using a red and black cable wire.
Recently, one of the speakers (the passive one) is making a very disturbing crackling noise and the sound is not clear at all. I have tried a different cable wire, but the problem is still the same.
I am really a newbie in fixing stuff, but I am willing to try almost anything to fix it!
I would really appreciate your help.

Best regards, Kyri

Solution
The passive speaker is powered by the amp in the active one. To be sure that the problem is the the passive speaker you would need to connect it to a different amp. This will tell you if the passive speaker has been damaged or if the amp in the active speaker is at fault.

kyriakosso

Commendable
Jun 22, 2016

Hello and thanks a lot for your response! But do i need to buy a new amp or something? I don't have any spare one to check i am afraid :(

thanks a lot