Craigslist laptop - how to ensure it's safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

xnity12

Prominent
Aug 15, 2017
I just bought a laptop on Craigslist but I'm concerned about the possibility that there may be malware or viruses installed to swipe my information. What are some things I can do to ensure that this laptop is clean? Thanks!

Solution
Your laptop should have a activation sticker affixed somewhere. Possibly under the battery.
Or, there are apps like :magical jellybean keyfinder" that will display your activation code.
Make a note of that to use when you reinstall windows.
Some laptops have a reset key to reset the laptop to the initial factory settings. You should be OK with that.

geofelt

Distinguished
Your laptop should have a activation sticker affixed somewhere. Possibly under the battery.
Or, there are apps like :magical jellybean keyfinder" that will display your activation code.
Make a note of that to use when you reinstall windows.
Some laptops have a reset key to reset the laptop to the initial factory settings. You should be OK with that.

Solution

USAFRet

Illustrious

With any used PC or laptop, your very first move should be a full wipe and reinstall.
You have no idea what the previous owner(s) had in there.

And not just malware or keyloggers, but also personal data, or worse.

I've seen used PC's with anything from the daughters name, school, classroom, homework...all the way up "You need to call the police. Now."

Status
Not open for further replies.