Crap picture on new Samsung UHD TV

sparry

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
Since buying my new TV, Samsung Model UE48JU6445KXXU I have spent countless hours trying to get a good picture. I was told by the salesman that the picture I saw in the showroom would not be what I saw at home and he offered to sell me a calibration disc. I refused thinking I could set it myself at home by eye. I have tried countless permutations and and still not happy. The main problem is that the picture looks washed and many others seem to have the same problem. Samsung have been no help. I contacted their Remote Management Support site yesterday only to get an Indian guy to tell me, after I explained my problem, that they where very busy at the moment but I should keep my telephone line open as someone would call me back. So far, nothing. Was offered on their website to submit an email but it would not let me type anything! Anyone had the same problem? Any fix available?

Hello,

Contrast: 90 (or -5%)

Brightness: 40-50 (typically)

Backlight (if available): Preference

Picture preset: Movie/Theater/Cinema (whatever they call it on this model)
- Verify the color temperature is set to Warm 1, or Warm 2

Sharpness: 0 (sometimes that will display an odd tint, so go with 1, if that's the case)

Dynamic: Everything that is dynamic, turn it all off. You don't want any of it. I'm talking about literally everything that is dynamic, I don't know the specifics, but you don't want any, I can repeat all day.

PC mode (if available): Always OFF

Game mode (if available): Preference

That should get you started. Let me know how it goes!

All the best!

Sounds like the settings are way off. Is there a return to FACTORY setting? Try that.

Are you running a calibration disc? The first thing I always do is to set the black level. Gives you three B/W bars, when the brightness is correct you can't tell the darkest bar from the background.

sparry

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015
Thanks for your suggestions. My main complaint is that on many channels the picture colours appeared washed. I have tried innumerable settings combinations with no satisfactory results. Also done factory resets. Curiously there is a setting available for home or showroom. When I switch to showroom a set of stunning pictures are displayed. These are on a continual loop. I have to switch back to home in order to watch TV programs. Makes it all the more puzzling to me. Might have to bite the bullet and buy a calibration disc although this goes against the grain. All previous TVs have been purchased, brought home, switched on and bingo great picture.

sparry

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015

Have tried that. See my initial post. May give it another try though. Thanks.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
or you could do some "work" and post your settings like a poster above and people can then figure out what you need to change. Of course, there are a few more settings than were shown but you get the idea. May be a new set is in your future one way or the other... :)

sparry

Estimable
Oct 14, 2015

Will do this. Will take me some time to gather them as there are plenty for each picture mode. Will get back here later. Thanks for the suggestion.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015

Just do it for the mode you would normally use... then we can go from there if need be. Also indicate where / what the input signal is for the picture in question.