Solved! Upgrade remote possible for hotel Samsung TV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardwareJay

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I live in a Marriott hotel property in Florida. The TVs and TV remotes are the same in all the rooms. The TVs are Samsung. The remotes all have a very poor signal (or at least the TV-remote communication is very poor). One has to walk close to the TV and then often has to press the desired button multiple times and aim to various places on the screen. Management says this problem exists for all the TVs and remotes in all the rooms. New batteries don't help. I've tried four remotes from the hotel, all with the same issue.

Here's the label from the back of the TV:

TV-label-20230329_152700-scaled.jpg

And here's a picture of the remote (there's no label inside or out):

TV-remote-20230329_153338-rotated.jpg

I realize it's very unlikely but this has become so annoying I'm hoping someone here can recommend a replacement remote model I can buy that will work fine with this TV and will work better.

Thanks!

HardwareJay

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
That one doesn't work. I won't do anything. Unless there's a special setup/pairing procedure I'm not aware of.

I did get the hard-to-see numbers from the inside of the remote that the hotel provides (pictured earlier in this thread), FWIW:

URC8200BC1 - 012 - R
Y164701

Any other suggestions? I see other (older?) universal remotes for Samsung TVs on Amazon. Should I just try a few and hope for potluck?

Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Make sure to check the TV menu settings for anything related to the remote. You may need to reset the remote settings. I know we have this same remote and it works with the TVs in my camper and at home and they are several generations apart.

HardwareJay

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I don't see a way to get to a setup menu. The Menu button on the current remote doesn't do anything except return to the opening screen, the Settings option on the on-screen opening screen only provides access to Sleep settings, and there are no physical buttons on the sides or back of the TV.

HardwareJay

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Thanks. However, as you can see in the photo I posted in the OP, there are no numbers on the current remote.

And trying it on the universal I bought (per the link you provided above) does nothing, of course.

HardwareJay

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
I apparently got it resolved. The hotel's engineer gave me the number of the maker of the remote and interface box the hotel's TV system uses (which was printed right on their remote and their number was right on their website). A little diplomatic pressing on my part got me to a senior engineer, who told me there's a "Master" remote for setup that also works like a normal remote and does have a much stronger signal. Normally the hotel management buys it but they got approval for me to buy one and have it shipped to me directly. Small win for me if it works, and I have no reason to think it won't.

Thanks again for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.