Creative Sound Blaster Wireless WoW Headset

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]zanraptora[/nom]I actually need to check... But I think I actually have an 2.4GHz headphones from Sentry... Ill check when I get home[/citation]

Apparently, zanraptora never made it home. RIP zanrap, we hardly knew ye.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
We have 3 HS-1200 Creative Labs Wireless headsets in our house. 2400Hz and Zero Cross talk. While they look different, I'd probably prefer the HS-1200 for the fact that instead of a dongle there's a cable from USB to desktop for Recharging the headset from Computer USB power and pairing up.
Got them at Local Fry's for like $90 each.

zanraptora

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Nah... Just checked... The Sentry one's I've got are the HO800, and are RF, although they are quite good with the range and stuff...

zanraptora

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Apparently, zanraptora never made it home. RIP zanrap, we hardly knew ye.[/citation]

I have a really long commute.

G

It sounds good, but it's just way too expensive to me. You can get a decent gaming video card for that much, which I'd rather do and just use a wired gaming headset. :)

G

you said to put into comments others that use 2.4 ghz. i use a plantronics 995 audio headset, those are 2.4 ghz and before i decided on those i was also looking at the logitech clearchat pc wireless, also 2.4 ghz, but at this point, i might just look into that creative, but for now the plantronics work great.

Spartacus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
As stated this is one of the few 2.4 Ghz running headsets, this poses a major problem to me. Many of the currently used wireless phones, internet, and even peripherals can interfere with each other making it difficult for each device to interact in proper fashion. I have Logitech G7 wireless mouse and it has spazzed out just having my wireless router or wireless home phone too close to the receiver. I would expect a high level of tolerance but, would be wary of its use with other devices on the same bandwidth. If you're all wired up looks like a great headset though, I go for heavy gaming sessions and 8 hours of battery just couldn't cut it.

G

These headphones r junk!!! i sent them back after getting them as a present for more than 1 reason. Not only will the interfere with ur wireless connection n make ur raids wipe the drivers u have to download r old n need a patch. They r a terrible waste of money for something that doesn't work as intended.

G

I've researched this product on several sites. most were positive. only a hand full were negative. and 2 of the negative issues were easily fixed with a software download. If you don't like the lights, turn them off. Don't like the Disney effects on the side? replace them when they release more designs. OR make your own. With a range effectively around 50 feet in a heavy electronic office environment and no telling how its going to be in a home envornment with wireless mice and keyboards. Luckily i dont have a 2.4 ghz wireless. Neighbors might. Wonder how they are effected by close proximity to amateur radios. But most of the cost is going toward what you hear. not all the eye candy.

balastrea

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
This is THE best review on these that I have read! Thank you for the time spent putting it together. I only wish I could find more reviews since the actual release of them, to see if some of the issues that others are complaining about have been resolved. Such as poor Mic sound quality and flimsy buttons.

I'm an adult and a huge Wow fan and I would have to say that I have mixed opinions on the design. It does look a little overboard to me on the "Wow" design but then again if it's well built, I could live with it.

I bought into the Steel Series Wow mouse and was WAY disappointed in the quality of the unit as well as the quality of the software/drivers. I loved the look but for the money they wanted I wasn't going to keep it based on how cool it looked. I returned it after less than a week of use. It just wasn't a reliable gaming mouse.

If Creative has done a nice job on quality with these than I guess I would be willing to pony up the $160. It's more than I would like to pay but based on this review I am leaning more towards placing my order.

G

Well, I must say that I was impressed with the headset. I got the wireless and as long as I remember to plug it in at night, it lasts for as long as I need it to. Also works while plugged in. I like the fact that I can get up and go for quick afks while monitoring what is going on. Only think I would have like would have been a programmable push to talk switch on the headset so I could activate the mic in vent.
I uh, well, I am an adult, so I smuggled it up to the register at the store. I hid it as much as I thought I could get away with and not be charged with shoplifting. It isn't a product I am proud of owning because of the juvenile design, but it does work very very well. I'd recommend adults buy it online and avoid the embarassment. Turn off the lights, you can't see them anyway when you wear it. Also I'd recommend acquiring a method to charge the headset other than USB. I had an old power adapter from a cell phone that worked just fine.

G

I own this headset, and I'd just like to mention that they're fantastic. Superb sound quality (I've never noticed any interference from other 2.4GHz devices microwaves etc.) Though the theme may be a bit much for some of the more "mature" players (I'm 24, software developer for a fortune 500 company), I have no concerns about wearing these in public. For one thing, the sound quality and the fact that they work so very well over wireless is more incentive than I truly need. The carying case this headset comes with is great for me too. Makes it a lot easier to bring to and from work. I also have the mouse from steelseries that matches this headset quite well. I think as a gaming setup at home, it's a great match for me and I would recommend this headset.

G

Question: if 2 people are using 2.4g headsets in close proximity, on different games, will it cause problems, confusion?

G

Hey, I'm an adult too and I think they are just fine. I did know that the lights on the side could be turned off, but who cares what they look like? I'm usually the only one awake in my house when I am playing on line anyways.

I just ordered these from Best Buy, because They were out of stock on the Logitech G930's and I missed the sale by 1 day.

I got mine for $139.99 and I have so many wires around my PC I look forward to wireless. I hope they are as good as your review! THANKS!

G

How are the headphones at cancel/covering the background noise from the place that you are physically in. I am consisdering buying theese, however in my livingroom were my PC is also the tv my loud wife and daughter. So anything that can help with that would be great.

cruithne

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
In response to the WoW logos on the headset, that's completely intentional. The headset was designed to be that way since it is an active collaboration between Creative Labs and Blizzard Entertainment. Blizzard's quality controls are always very strict and even the GUI for the Audio Panel was made to Blizzard's specifications.

I own this headset. Design wise, it wouldn't be my first choice. I think I get away with wearing them because I look young. But I think what it lack in design, it gains back with superior performance and comfort that make it a headset worth looking into (at least).

The wireless (which I have not found to actually interfere with any potential devices), detachable mic being able to work seamlessly on a Mac without customisation were firm sellers for me.

Other selling points which weren't mentioned in the review were:

Comfort. I have a small head, so in the past using other gaming headsets were often either very heavy or too loose to be very practical. The WoW headset is very light in construction, but also very flexible so it does fit to your own needs. Also the padding is light, airy and soft to the touch, when you wear it doesn't feel like you're wearing massive globes on your ears (mind, your ears do heat up a little)

Battery Life: If the lights aren't on all the time, the battery life is very decent. I can go for at least two days worth of gaming in WoW and not have it cut out on me.

Furthermore, the USB cord that's included is not that intrusive. The cord itself is braided, not plastic moulded, so it can stand a bit of punishment being toted around. Charge time is pretty good. I just leave it on overnight if I have to and disconnect the moment I want to use it and there's no disconnection of the sound whatsoever.

The volume buttons can be awkward at times, but apparently have innate resistance to prevent accidental pushing. They're just very hard to find when they are required. It just wouldn't do to use the feature when playing games, it takes a bit of time to find the buttons.

Sufficient noise cancelling: The mic is good for cancelling ambient sounds.

...and as far as I can tell, it cancels background noise to your ears very effectively. I've had a few people yell at me for seemingly ignoring them with my headset on.

Crisp voice output: Given if you change the audio settings for whatever is required of it, the headset offers a great quality of voice chat as well as audio.

About the price tag: For all you folks in the US, at least it's only $160USD. I live in New Zealand. I only recently saw the headset go just below $300NZD ($226.80USD). I don't regret purchasing it at all. Good audio headsets that have good all-round features are hard to find (especially where I live).

G

2 weeks out of 12 month warranty I got this from Creative:
----------------------------------------------
Dear John,

Thank you for writing in to Creative.

With regards to your enquiry, I would not advice you to service this unit as it is out of the warranty period. It is more economical to purchase a new product than getting this unit repaired. In addition, the new purchase unit will come with a full 12 month warranty coverage.

We would like to seek for your kind understanding and apologized for any inconvenience caused, any inconvenience caused is regretted.

If you still require assistance, please reply to this email and include any previous correspondence to ensure a quick response.

Best Regards,

Yoyo
Worldwide Customer Response
Creative

---------------------------------

Good sound. Premium price. Subpar product.
2 weeks after warranty ended - plastic extender arm failed, no extra stress, normal pull to head. The partially extended arm broke.

I searched for similar problems, only found the lucky people who complained in the 12 month warranty.

Logitech head band made of metal.
Logitech wireless volume control easier and more natural.

Disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.