Crytek Artist Accidentally Confirms Xbox 720 'Durango' Name

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Seriously, why not create a PC with console like customized Windows. AMD could design the APU with 800 or 1000 stream processors, which should be enough for awhile. The games would sense the BIOS/hardware and set the graphics settings accordingly. Those with more powerful systems would have expanded customizations. No more worrying about future compatibility, and less waste of money for research. Set the games prices to $20 - $30 and there won't be any piracy issues.[/citation]

better yet, why not create an OS for pc's that is strictly for games and entertainment, hardware specifics and branding for vendors.
I dual boot win7, one has all the bells and whistles installed and the other is stripped as much as possible just for games. It would be nice to have a dedicated gaming OS that doesn't get in the way of games, doesn't need virus software and only runs certain apps. Light and fast.
Maybe with certified hardware the game designers could go back to, direct to metal, minus all the hardware config headaches.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Sorry I dont give 2 squats what the damn name is, Microsoft lost me when it became public info they would be using a 2-3 year old graphics card (at least by the time this realeases) which was barely even considered mid-ranged when it was new.

I am completely 100% done with consoles. I neglected my pc the last few years because I was sinking money into the Xbox 360 but that will happen no more. As of November I started to reallocate all my gaming funds to PC only. Will be building a new rig in the next few months.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Who cares what the code name is? It's definitely not going to be the final name. And I'm almost willing to bet money it won't be called Xbox 720, so I hate seeing it referred to as that. That's such a stupid name, it makes me angry reading it.

stryfe1986

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]I doubt it, the system has been out long enough that anyone who is going to buy one already has.[/citation]

dude people are still buying PS2's, Wii's are still going off the shelf.....so no

G

If you look around they may call it Xbox 8 for having a windows 8 based OS to go along with all the other s@#t they make. I personally hate Xbox 8 more than 720

sincreator

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]Durango will be just a codename.It won't be called 720 either:1. The ill advised will think it just means it can do 720p or something.2. Sony could just name their next console Playstation 1080 and they've automatically won in marketing.3. It's a stupid name.It's the reason the Xbox 360 wasn't called the Xbox 2, because people "Not in the know" will just see the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 2 and think "3 is higher than 2, so it must be better".[/citation]

Maybe they should call it the Xbox 1080, or Xbox HD. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw either of those names on the next Xbox.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]Seriously, why not create a PC with console like customized Windows. AMD could design the APU with 800 or 1000 stream processors, which should be enough for awhile. The games would sense the BIOS/hardware and set the graphics settings accordingly. Those with more powerful systems would have expanded customizations. No more worrying about future compatibility, and less waste of money for research. Set the games prices to $20 - $30 and there won't be any piracy issues.[/citation]

I had this exact same idea. Have them just pick a motherboard, cpu video etc cram it into a custom box with a custom operating system. inside it would just be a PC with standardized hardware with pcie slots etc and could be upgradable. No more issues with it getting outdated and no more compatibility issues as on PC's. They would never do this.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]I had this exact same idea. Have them just pick a motherboard, cpu video etc cram it into a custom box with a custom operating system. inside it would just be a PC with standardized hardware with pcie slots etc and could be upgradable. No more issues with it getting outdated and no more compatibility issues as on PC's. They would never do this.[/citation]

That defeats the purpose of a console, having consistent hardware so games can be perfectly optimized and always work right. That would mean that the graphics card and CPU would not be upgradeable, just storage and connectivity etc.

What could be done there is making upgradeable parts that are perfectly compatible with previous ones, but that would still need an architectural refresh every now and then or they would need very complex hardware level emulation, or some other crazy thing.

It is a lot cheaper for both the developer, console manufacturers, and consumers to have it the way it is. Not that I wouldn't like an upgradeable console, but just to make it upgradeable would increase the cost,it would start to cost just as much as a PC with similar quality and etc etc, basically be a less upgradeable and more expensive PC.

It is a great idea, but it would be exceptionally difficult and expensive to pull off.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

Because then you have to develop the game so it scales well to more powerful hardware. The entry level competitive/hardcore gamers will throw a fit because of the "unfair advantages" like having a higher draw distance, or anti alaising, or just better frame rates (higher min fps, biggest issue with games these days is: suddenly 12fps).

As for piracy. It doesn't matter of the game was a penny, people will still pirate. Until games are free, and acquiring said game is simple, AND there is no invasive DRM (Even Steam). People will scoff and pirate.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
It's not like people didn't already know. Not sure if someone leaking a name that's been floating around for a few weeks is worth firing over. I could see leaking videogame footage before you want it shown, but not merely the fake name of a console.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Idea:

They could just sign a deal with a pot shop in cali and if you have a medical pot card they could send weed right to your house! best part is they would call it the Xbox 420!

odds of this happening = better chance of the United States starting up NASA again and having a lunar base by the end of 2018.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]lassik[/nom]Durango will be just a codename.It won't be called 720 either:1. The ill advised will think it just means it can do 720p or something.2. Sony could just name their next console Playstation 1080 and they've automatically won in marketing.3. It's a stupid name.It's the reason the Xbox 360 wasn't called the Xbox 2, because people "Not in the know" will just see the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 2 and think "3 is higher than 2, so it must be better".[/citation]

It truly frightens me that you are correct in these assumptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.