Ctr P and Ctrl N does seem to be working on all application

richardseaman2u

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hi, all of a sudden the Ctr P and Ctrl N does seem to be working on all application. I have tried on the chrome, excel, word, powerpoint (almost all) but it is not working. However the Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl X, Ctrl V, Ctrl Z (the other shortcuts) are working.

I had been searching the internet for more than 3 weeks but was not able to find a solution.

Appreciate if I could get some help on this situation as it is becoming bit difficult to work.

I am using Lenovo Thinkpad and working on Win 7 Prof X86

... Richard

NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then disconnect the external keyboard and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

Ctrl-P = Print; Ctrl-N = New Document
These shortcuts are application-dependent, and although "standard", it is up to the application to support them.

On the other hand, Ctrl-C/X/V/A are more or less implemented by Windows' standard libraries.

richardseaman2u

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

richardseaman2u

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hi there,

I tired as advised. However the problem still seems to be the same. Just to let you know that it was working fine but suddenly before 3 weeks it stopped.

I even tried connecting with an external keyboard. But it is the same issue. (everything works fine line the typing number lock etc only this 2 shortcuts are not working.

Any other suggestion.

richardseaman2u

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018

Hi webworkings and Alabalcho's,

Appreciate your replies.

I was still trying to find out the reason but I kind of narrowed down to a point where this issue is coming from but still not able to get them figured out.

After reading the information given in the below link;
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Some-Ctrl-key-combinations-not-working-on-T450s-with-Win7/td-p/2221977

I started to check the startup programs. All I could say is that it is the cause, since when I go to the safemode it works fine also if I try to check with in the first 10 to 30secs once the computer gets to the desktop(in normal mode), the key combination works fine. Then it stops to work.

I am not sure which startup program should I disable since I dont want to get into some other issue when trying to do this.

Appreciate your suggestion after reading my message.

Thanks in advance.

Richard

richardseaman2u

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Dear Webworkings and Alabalcho,

I just wanted to say that I have now fixed my problem. As mentioned in my previous comment, it was a startup program by my Xerox printer (Xerox PowerENGAGE). By turning of this startup the keycombinations are working fine.

Thanks for all your support.

Much Appreciated.