Solved! Curse Moore's Law!

digsb22

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Hi there everyone,

I've been scouring the internet for a while now trying to get some insight into what type of laptop I should purchase.

I'll be heading overseas and "need" a laptop that will essentially be a desktop replacement - something that can handle music recording/producing as well as serious gaming.

At the rate technology is advancing I'm trying to find something that isn't ultra cutting-edge, but something that sits well ahead of obsolete and a bit behind uber-expensive and uber-new.

Lastly, I'm wondering if for the budget I have set up, if I could *build* a notebook that would be better than anything at a comparable price?

Thanks for your help!

1_What is your budget?

$1,500-$2,000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Any size will work

3_What screen resolution do you want?

The higher, the better. But a minimum of 1680x1050 would be solid.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Somewhere in between would be preferrable, but a desktop replacement would be fine.

5_How much battery life do you need?

Not a lot.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I will need a notebook that can play any of the upcoming releases such as Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Bad company 2, etc. on high-extra high settings.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Music recording and editing - though I think a computer powerful enough to handle high-end games will be more than enough to handle music software.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

A minimum of 200 gigs or so should be plenty - I prefer a faster HDD than a larger one.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

n/a

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

It would be preferable to have it be a viable gaming option for at least 2-3 years.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Able to play DVDs, that's all.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Unless their product/reputation has improved, I'd like to stay away from HP, Acer, and other budget book companies. I've never owned an Alienware, but I'be heard positive and negative things - I would be willing to try them out.

13_What country do you live in?

USA, moving to Korea.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

If you all suggest building a notebook instead, any suggestions on what tech to keep away from?

Thanks a lot!!!

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Solution

endrewsmith

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I heard that ASUS drain battery faster than water in a colander.

To OP: Have you tried look into SONY VAIO FW590? It has 1080P resoultion plus ATI 4650 with 1GB RAM. Plus, you can configure the processor up to 3Ghz to suit your need.