Cyber Attack on U.S. Means Thorough Butt Kicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
World War 3 will be fought on the web?

They say, "the meek shall inherit the earth." I guess the geeks will be the ones to destroy it. :)

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Omg, is the US gonna really nuke some 12 year old script kiddie in it's parent basement?

Watch it script kiddies, next time you want to press enter to nuke some server, the army might just press the big red button and nuke you back!

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

Take that North Korea! That will shut down your power stations for many years to come! (probably 7...
Thousand!)

G

What sources report north Korea visits US sites more then any other? I have seen this over and over, but never have seen a citation.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Yea I havnt heard any proof that its North Karea but whoever it was they managed to steal alot of Top Secret project documents.

Honestly maybe its something like this that will wake them up.

The real first attack will no longer be by land, sea, or air it will be by web. Were building the smart grid here in Cali. and that can be hacked and shutdown Via web. The old controls for alot of military comms used to be all internal but now its IP based.

So it is reasonable to believe that the initial attack could be a hack to shut down parts of defenses or at least cripple broadcasts so people dont know whats happening across the country.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Hey, what if, in the future, war was fought through a video game? Like, every country had tons of gamers that just duked it out.

Nahh. But that'd be cool.
And everyone would "forget" to give China the patch.

lire210

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
usa usa usa all the way basic it mean don't screw wit usa caz be beat you dispite my horrible spelling and grammar lol

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'd say fight fire with fire. Assemble an expert team of hackers and hack into North Korean network and cause devastating damage.

If they have Windows, disable it completely with help from Microsoft.

Why not that instead of engaging in costly physical war?

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]I'd say fight fire with fire. Assemble an expert team of hackers and hack into North Korean network and cause devastating damage.If they have Windows, disable it completely with help from Microsoft. Why not that instead of engaging in costly physical war?[/citation]

Uh they already have that. They've got 1 agency for offence and 1 for defence "Joint Task Force-Global Network Operations, and the Joint Functional Component Commander-Network Warfare".

The article merely says that they could potentially physically strike in retaliation to a cyber attack. Which seems perfectly reasonable to be honest. A lot of other nations aren't as computerised as the states so a cyber attack in retaliation against them would be near ineffective.

funnyman06

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Just look at your firewall logs! Ping the ip addresses that are port scanning you, its scary what you will find. But its not all China and North Korea traffic either, a lot of it comes from here within the US.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Hey does that mean I "will not rule out physical aggression against any "force" that attacks" Like say intrusive isp's and/or local, state, and government agentcies. I am just wondering how they are going to tell the difference between "specific nations, to criminals, down to bored teenagers looking for a little hacking fun." Perhaps more importantly the way they choose to deal with each these "common threats". Oh who am I kidding. Might as well move my systems down to the bomb shelter now.

G

In the movies you always see that the (US) military is the hardest to hack.
If they really would use their brain, they would disconnect their military network from the internet completely. Isolate it.
Then N Korea can spend their all resources with hacking all day long, without result...

There's currently nothing better than an offline computer. Or an intranet.

I'm sure if they wanted they could do things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.