Cyber-Crooks Taking Advantage of iPad Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotchrisbfries

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
It's not hacking, it's social engineering. It is the ability to gain peoples trust and using that information for your own nefarious purposes.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
Man has persevered over everything in the world - even persevered over ur sister and mine as well, except stupidity.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]My faith in the human race will fall just that little bit if this device sells.[/citation]
Faith in mankind fell short long time ago when Adam ate the Apple of the Mac tree....and "bimbo" like, Eve joined in. Go figure why we have Paris Hilton sporting the latest Mach Fashion "It's Hot!" as well.

*sigh*...yes we are doomed.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
am surprised people would stoop as low as to try and take advantage of something like Haiti to scam people

I was sorry to hear that even in these times :pfff:

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
For people ignorant enough to fall for something like this, chances are they really do have malware on their computer. So it's sort of like a half-truth. *chuckle*

G

Social Engineering is the greatest tool a hacker has at their disposal. I once socially engineered an auto dealer to find me a black RX8 (they didn't have one on the lot), let me take it out for the weekend (Prom), and then return it to them, free of charge. I enfuriated the lot of them when I didn't end up purchasing the car and the auto guy called me a few weeks later. He'd been drinking, and I imagine he was pleading with me to buy a car, unfortunately I couldn't understand him. Was it wrong to do that? I never lied to them once, I made myself clear that I would have to get approval from my father to get the car, yet I believe their greed at the opportunity to overcharge me $7000 got the better of them, and this is what helped me feel better at socially engineering them.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]r3t4rd[/nom]Faith in mankind fell short long time ago when Adam ate the Apple of the Mac tree....and "bimbo" like, Eve joined in. Go figure why we have Paris Hilton sporting the latest Mach Fashion "It's Hot!" as well. *sigh*...yes we are doomed.[/citation]

I don't really understand your reference, but thought I might point out that in the original story, Eve ate first.

Status
Not open for further replies.