DARPA to Turn Humans into Batteries

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
All really baaad Matrix jokes aside ...

Back in the mid 90's when I still on active duty, I saw countless "Battlefield of the Future" articles. Some of them showed (based on then current technology) what the soldier or marine could be equipped with: tactical battlefield communications, battlefield management (computer support), GPS, electro-optical sights of all sorts, NVG's, etc. So you have all this electronic junk that you expect the soldier to carry in addition to what he needs to "kill people and break things" (his basic mission) and it's all powered by different kinds of batteries.

drutort,
With a thermal generator of the sort they are talking about, all you need is a temperature difference. It doesn't matter if the soldier is warmer or cooler than the environment. All you need is a simple means of reversing the polarity and a simple full wave bridge rectifier will do that.

hewdew, we can do that now. It's called catching a cold.

My whimsical question is this:
Can we generate more power if we hold hands (batteries in series)?

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
hich generate electricity from the vibrations created by movement.

We are so far from matrix because we cant be in a tube filled of jelly: we need to move.

That's cool for cells, mp3 players and stuff though.

But i ain't paying a million for a suite :p

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]i dont care what the rest of u say, but I AINT STICKIN NO PLUG NOWHERE IN ALLLLLLL O' DIS NUH-UH *snaps fingers*[/citation]

you got a REAL LOL out of that.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
So Diaper, I mean Drapa wants to use us as energy. They can first start by using their own families. If their loved ones are ok to sit in a vegetative state for the test run of 20 years. I will do the next 20 years.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]this is the first step in vampires taking over the world...next, they will farm us for blood.[/citation]
No, you got it wrong, the Machines use us for batteries and put us into the Matrix world :p

G

As long as they are not chopping human meat into batteries I guess there's no real harm done...

Anyone noticed the picture?
2 humans doing a 69, I swear!

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I might be a good way to lose weight, as the increased metabolism will be required to maintain the thermal delta.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]DawnTreader[/nom]there is one problem that i forsee. if they use our thermal generating as an energy source then our bodies will need to generate more heat to keep our bodies at a temperature that is natural for our bodies. then the electronic device would probably suck more thermal energy from you, body compensates, electronic sucks up the heat. back and forth and sooner or later the person will suffer from exaustion or sponentenously combust.[/citation]

Or just loose weight. Seems like this should be mandatory here in the USA.

Sephiroth73003

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Military did some tests with piezoelectronics in boots and their are efficiency problems. All the wasted energy doesn't get turned into electricity, only a small portion does and your body has make the rest. The result is your body having to work harder to do the same work. Projects like this were scrapped because of the burden on soldiers. Does a soldier need to feel like he walked a mile and a half for every mile he actually walks to keep his cell phone charged for an extra 20 min.?

Status
Not open for further replies.