Darth Vader Rings Bell, Opens Wall Street

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoMan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2005
I really want to see them let the Stig ring the bell next, he would be an excellent counter point for Darth Vader.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Seriously, go watch "The Movie" http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/[/citation]

You probably should have told betterdesign to skip the first 1/3rd of the movie if he believes in God and has no intention of becoming an atheist :)

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
This is the proof that those people are crooks . They joke in a place where the almost whole world economy, a few month after disaster...

I hope someone in charge wakes up and clean up this act...

betterindesign

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
@mlopinto2k1 and @r0x0r: I had a chance to watch this movie and I have several comments about it.

RELIGION

I don't doubt that most of the contents of the first 1/3rd of the movie are a truth, dependent on the CONTEXT in which they were found and used. And I do know of the history of the Catholic (Christian Church) through history and how wars were started over religion. I also do admit that The Bible was "normalized" to fit with the guidelines of "The Church." And I also know that December 25th was taken as the day as Jesus' birthday so to gain more converts from the "Mystic" religion at that time. Despite of all this, I still believe in Jesus. Why? Because something major had happened that created a "spark" of belief. Perhaps The Son Of God was resurrected many times throughout history as different personages (i.e. Horus, Krishna, etc.) so that people would believe in God. And why would the Quran mention Jesus at all if he was made up (perhaps even more times that Mohammed)?

In general, The Bible tries to help people to live longer by having a healthier life-style, such as warning people of not eating certain foods because science and technology has not caught up to the knowledge that God knows. Examples are not eating pork (common knowledge explains that it is most likely due to tapeworms), pickling foods (not limited to cucumbers and it has recently been found that low strength vinegar, such as 5%, kills more than 90% of viruses/bacteria [1]), etc. Of course, living a healthier life-style is also encompassed within The Ten Commandments.

The first four of The 10 Commandments talks about loving God. The last 6 of The 10 Commandments talks about "loving thy neighbor," which yields to a healthier life-style (not being depressed due to loneliness, not causing fights by taking another person's husband/wife, etc). These two categories (loving thy God and thy neighbor) are exemplified by Jesus. Jesus also led the transcendence from the Torah--where rituals were used to absolve sin, such as killing a "perfect" animal, typically sheep, to transfer sin from the human to the animal--to one where someone can pray for forgiveness and be forgiven (granted if the person is sincere, with correct intentions, etc).

CAVEATS:
* I do believe that perhaps the movie tries to talk about organized religion and it's hypocrisy. But this is not really due to religion; it's just the way people are at times. No religion is "perfect" because people are not perfect. This is one of the main reasons I focus more on reading The Bible and praying to God since EVERYONE has an opportunity to have DIRECT communication with Him if (s)he chooses to do so. I use the word "chooses" because I believe that God gave people Free Will. This means that EVERYONE has a fault, some more than others. This is also why I try not to judge people; I let God judge people!

* I do believe that this movie tries to portray that we are all "connected" somehow and it seems to me to be another way of describing God. Perhaps the movie was trying to disassociate itself from organized religion but at the same time attempting to show the spiritual aspects of people, the environment, and the Universe. Isn't this just another way of talking about a universal God? I believe it does.

SEPTEMBER 11th

I have no doubt that there was a government cover-up behind this whole ordeal. And of course, as the movie had already pointed out, this is not the first time our government has done this.

ENDING

The movie portrays life as some kind of illusion. I believe this is the case. Perhaps this is a test of the choices we make, and perhaps the acceptance of God. I believe that in the after-life, God needs people who have faith in Him for the ultimate battle between the duality mentioned in the beginning of the movie, the battle between Good and Evil.

REFERENCES:
1. BREAKING THE JEWISH CODE; Perry Stone; Chapter 9

counterpart

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
@betterindesign:

What a well-written post. Thank you. I wish all religious people would be as reasonable as you are. That would make the world a better place.

Peace! And Merry Christmas to you!

anonymousdude

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
@betterindesign

I wish that more people, religious and atheist, could be as reasonable and understanding as you are. I know people who try to disprove God and religion in general, but I always ask them if they can truly disprove God like how I can't prove God exists. I personally believe in the lessons being taught in the Bible and less on if God really exists.

Merry Christmas to you.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
Wow, how did Darth Vader turn into a discussion about religion...

Anyway....

I'm surprised they let them in their with those laser weapons. I can't get into the stock exchange with a screwdriver.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]You probably should have told betterdesign to skip the first 1/3rd of the movie if he believes in God and has no intention of becoming an atheist[/citation]

You do need to believe in BS to watch the remaining 2/3rd of the movie.

Does anybody really need a movie made by a nutjob to realize that god is a man made fairy tale, I dont.

Status
Not open for further replies.