Daughter's Birthday Notebook - Which to Buy??

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I am too close to be objective and I have 2 weeks to order or buy.

Budget: $600 - $700
Use: Honestly - Chatting & Youtube + SIMS ; Webcam ; Play DVDs
Portability: Not so much, but she has a Verizon Droid {tethering}

I love my daughter more than I can say, however she is REALLY hard on her stuff! She's in her teenage years.

Any objective help here is greatly appreciated and will be Best Answered! :sol:

Thanks!

Solution

Hi there,

The i3 processor should be sufficient for your daughter's intended uses. Dell laptops are user friendly and reasonably priced. However, they aren't as sturdy as some pricier laptops (there are laptops available with aluminum coatings, etc.) I think this Dell is a great value. A similar laptop is the Sony Vaio EB series. It has similar specs but it a bit pricier.

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

The Dell Studio 15 would be a good choice for your daughter. It has a 15.6" screen, fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and plenty of hard drive space. It is also very affordable at $649, plus it is available in some fun colors! It is perfect for doing schoolwork, chatting, and watching movies.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
@IsabellaWinTeam - Dell Studio 15 - Yeah, I really like the skins. Here's where the "objective" part comes in i3-370M or +100 i5-450M ; over the budget.

Q - I personally use HP mobile WS; I've heard not so good things about Dell - what's your opinion?

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

The i3 processor should be sufficient for your daughter's intended uses. Dell laptops are user friendly and reasonably priced. However, they aren't as sturdy as some pricier laptops (there are laptops available with aluminum coatings, etc.) I think this Dell is a great value. A similar laptop is the Sony Vaio EB series. It has similar specs but it a bit pricier.

Cheers,
Isabella

Solution

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

No argument there! Sony's are indeed pricey.

What about ASUS?

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

It's pretty pricey, but the new Asus U43JC Bamboo Collection is a great laptop (with a really unique appearance). It has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5-450M Processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of storage space. It also has dedicated graphics. The specs are probably more than she needs (and it costs $999), but it is worth checking out.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
You may also want to consider this ASUS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220745
$680.

It's got a Phenom II X3 which should make a bit of a difference in apps that are not properly threaded for HT (due to 3 physical cores vs i5s 2C/4T) along with a better graphics than the Intel HD which will make a difference in gaming. However, due to the lack of Turbo some single threaded stuff may be slower than on the i5.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

For the use, HT hasn't really crossed my mind. I've heard some good things about ASUS Notebooks. If reading - you've gotten the idea.

See you in the MB forum & Thanks! ;)

IsabellaWinTeam

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010

Hi there,

The graphics in the Asus mentioned above are probably not necessary for what your daughter will be using the laptop for. What did you think of the bamboo Asus?

Cheers,
Isabella

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
They're a $1,000 and impossible to find. If my daughter really used or really needed or took care of her NB I'd certainly get her a solid notebook; HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation.