DDR versus RD - RAM making a difference?

bigOX

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Hello to everyone! I'm just wondering if any of you that edit video and/or are into dvd authoring have felt that DDR is too slow to accomplish your tasks? You probably wouldn't want to go back to DDR if you had RD RAM (I'm assuming?), but how many times have you said that RD RAM has never really made a difference but only by cutting off a few hours in encoding or eliminating frame loss? Or have any of you ever been frusterated with DDR or RD RAM memory? (Nothing is ever going to be fast enough..)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a fast hard drive is where it really counts when it comes to editing video on a pc. I have a gut feeling that RD RAM is superior to DDR (especially after reading about it), but when I think about putting faster hard drives in the mix, DDR doesn't seem all that bad. To all DDR users: if you could upgrade now, would you go with dual-ddr or rd supported motherboard? This is a mix of questions that could have a variety of answers, pick out the ones you like. I'm very concerned about my future purchases and a few people out there on the net probably are, too..If this post could "settle it once and for all" I would be very happy. Thank you all to whoever replys!

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I dont have the means to test this but RDram prolly would be faster, but dont forget about a fast CPU! In my opinion AMD cpu's are far better for video work and thus RDram AFAIK cant be used on AMD designed motherboards. Yes fast hard drives are also a good investment to save time.
Thats my 2.2 cents worth.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=326&s=24cd3646ec584db36d180555f4d4e868" target="_new">My PC</A>