Deciding if I should get a ASUS ROG Strix GL502VS

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014
Hey everyone!, I am looking for a new gaming laptop, It's about time that I upgrade from my old rig. I have been thinking about getting the ASUS ROG STRIX GL502VS-DB71, It's about exactly what I need and I really wanted a laptop with a 1070. I just found about about the new laptop (GL502VS-WS71) with the the Kaby Lake CPU, however I cannot find any Canadian sellers selling them. I am really looking for a laptop that is around 2,000 - 2,400 CAD (including taxes and shipping) I heard that the ASUS GL502VS feels pretty cheap and creaks whenever you touch it. The performance was the only reason I even considered it (GTA 5 Ultra 1080P 60FPS) I was going to get a desktop with a 1070, but then I realized that I need a portable PC (laptop) I just travel too much, and I cannot see myself lugging around a PC and monitor everywhere I go. I am really looking for something that is really powerful, portable, and within my budget. Any suggestions?, thanks!

Solution
The dell 15 gaming is not cutting anymore, gtx 960m will not be able to run games at ultra 60 fps.
OP yes that asus you proposed is best suited for you, has a gtx 1070 and i7 6700hq with 4 real cores and 8 logical threads (good for processing and gaming). From what you said i would not recomend a notebook with less then a gtx 1070, soa gtx 1070 or 1080 is mandatory in your notebook. Go for that asus.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
First we should clarify exactly what you are looking for in a gaming laptop. Is it just pure performance or do you absolutely want bells and whistles?
Are you looking to break benchmark records or do you just want it to be able to play games at good FPS? Is it going to be used just for gaming or do you need it for processing as well?

If you are looking for something that won't break the bank and get the job done and looks decent but not great beyond all reason take a look at the Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming laptop. Here is a review video by Linus Tech Tips: https://youtu.be/00Bi_iT1zzQ

If you are definitely looking for more horsepower I can point you in the right direction but need more info from you as to what you are looking for as stated above.

I would also recommend to hold off on an expensive purchase right now and wait until the new Ryzen chips start coming out on mobile and we can see some serious horsepower without the price being so exorbitant. In which case the Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming that I've recommend you looking at would be a great tide-me-over until that day comes.

Kekorepeleco

Estimable
Apr 22, 2014

I need something that can edit 4K and 1080P, (Vegas Pro 13, Adobe Preme run GTA 5, Fallout 4, CS:GO, Watch Dogs 2, H1Z1, etc on Ultra. Be "future proof" as in last me for at least 3 years. I want something that will let me play all of my Steam library games at 1080P 60FPS Ultra settings, and of course VR (HTC Vive) I need to get this computer around the 27th of April, (I will be traveling) and I much prefer Intel and Invida, because of my past experiences with AMD. I really like the Alienwares because of the RGB lighting and such, but I know I will be paying MUCH MUCH more for that. What do you think?, what can I get right now for about under 2,200 CAD? Of course, If I could get a laptop for under 1,200 CAD, that would be much much better.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
The dell 15 gaming is not cutting anymore, gtx 960m will not be able to run games at ultra 60 fps.
OP yes that asus you proposed is best suited for you, has a gtx 1070 and i7 6700hq with 4 real cores and 8 logical threads (good for processing and gaming). From what you said i would not recomend a notebook with less then a gtx 1070, soa gtx 1070 or 1080 is mandatory in your notebook. Go for that asus.

Solution

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Well there is no good future proofing when it comes to laptops.
However, I assume that looks aren't all that important but performance is.
I completely understand how you feel about AMD in the mobile market but take a serious look at the new Ryzen CPUs.
Also, you want on the go smooth 4K video editing as in the use of the timeline is smooth and fairly snappy but rendering times don't necessarily have to be that quick seeing as how you are on a laptop so sacrifices must be made.
Nonetheless, I wouldn't get my hopes up for an Ultra settings at 60fps in 1080p for every title. I would suggest lowering your bar to mixed settings in the high/very high/ultra range.

With that said, Here is a recommendation.

MSI GS63VR : https://youtu.be/dkDq3JJ6IvM
There are other variants that come with a GTX 1070 and a better CPU and whatnot.