Defense Distributed Prints a Working Gun Using a 3D Printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
People like this get on my nerves. So what, he's concerned about the implications but says, "Oh well, I'll do it anyway. Screw the consequences"? At any rate, I do believe there needs to be laws about the distribution of these kinds of things.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
How does someone ban something that someone can print at home with raw materials. It's not like the ban could stop a supply/chain of a product. It's like trying to ban illegal music downloads.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Very old news, just trying to scare up support for regulating 3D printers and passing a bunch of "terror" laws. I'm surprised Tom's would stoop to this level. The gun in question, by the way certainly wasn't any better than something you could have made with a common houshold items. In fact, using a steel pipe would get you a better barrel than this.

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
"I'm a proud member of the NRA but I do not support this at all. I don't care how sturdy the lower receiver is you're playing Russian roulette every time you fire it. What you're going to have now is every idiot using a cheap 3D printer trying this is blowing themselves up when they try to fire it. What exactly was the point of proving this? F'n moron."
Really? The round is in the chamber with a bolt locked behind it. The recoil alone doesn't even cycle the action. It takes the gas from down at the end of the barrel to do so... Proud NRA member, my ass. This is Guns 101 and you just qualified for Special Ed. No one is going to blow themselves up with a plastic lower any more than they will with the plastic lower on a Glock. Grow up, troll.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
So after wasting 10min watching the youtube video, my conclusion is that Tom's Hardware's DUMB Jane McEntegart still isn't technical enough to figure out that it's just the stupid lower receiver that the stupid BATF defines as "gun" when it's just a part of it.
Does anyone have a real reference to photos of a real plastic gun that defines physics and doesn't BLOW UP when you launch an explosive through it when you pull the trigger?????
Maybe Bright JANE would be willing to demonstrate one for us :p

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
LOL@soda... You should have watched the whole thing. They shot 600rounds. I'm thinking that's all you need for home defense and nobody is stopping you from having more than one just in case you don't get to 600 right?
IF memory serves, none of the mass shootings recently have been republicans. ALL were democrats and NO members of NRA. So good gun owners do no harm right? So why the dems keep trying to steal my guns when they are the only ones doing the killings (and even they were not NRA members)? :) Just a thought.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
A "gun" can be made 100% at your local hardware store, using mass produced parts with very little modification. Having the ability to "print" one from a 3d printer is just a gimmick. If someone wants to kill someone else, they don't need a gun to do it. Even a toothbrush can kill someone, just ask anyone thats been shanked in prison.
The scary aspect of this, is that skynet can now print guns for its robotic army. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.