Del XPS 15z not charging

MoreGone

Commendable
May 16, 2016
So I left my laptop connected to the charger for about 3 weeks on accident.

When I went to use it next, it was dead empty, nothing. Put it on the charger for many hours and it was only at 50% when I went to start it up again.

When I was using the laptop is did get up to 75% and about this time I took it off the charger. Within 5 minutes I was getting the Connect to Charger warning.

Now it wont charge and stays at "5% Available, Plugged in and Charging"

Dell Battery meter says the battery is operating normal. When I check the bios it recognizes the plugin adapter is connected.

I would order a battery but not entirely sure thats the problem. Any tests I can do from this point ?

Hi,

Do try running a test with both the battery and AC adapter.
- First test would be to remove the battery off the laptop and run it with just the AC adapter connected and see if it will stay on.
- If the laptop will work just fine with just the AC adapter connected that could only mean that it's working properly and the battery is faulty.
- But if it will not boot up with just the AC adapter connected and the battery off the laptop that could mean that it's the charger that needs to be replaced.
- Do also try a different AC adapter first that has the same voltage and see if it will work normally.
- Next test is with the battery, charge it up to the point that it will charge then unplug the AC adapter and see if it will hold the charge and will not shutdown.
- If it will stay on for a short period of time that means it's the battery that needs to be replaced.

MoreGone

Commendable
May 16, 2016

Thanks for the ideas.

My laptop is like a uni-body so the battery is not readily available. It is is a little involved to access the battery. I am prepared to do it, but was hoping to do it with a new battery on hand. Being it is such, I will probably have to tear it a part twice.

I don't really know how to access another charger. Are these things semi-standard? Like a friends Windows laptop may also work?

Last time it did gain charge, it drained rapidly

Thanks again