Dell 5537 problems

Jacton

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 with the AMD Radeon HD 8670M in July 2014 and have had continuous problems with this machine ever since.

The first problem was when switching on or awaking after hibernation and the machine always came up with an error message VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR, after Dell taking over remote control of the laptop the error seemed to be ok until all i got was a black screen the eventually sent an engineer out to replace the motherboard (I was convinced that it was a software conflict error and not hardware), however all this did was restarted the blue screen Video error once again. I eventually carried out a re-install of Windows 8.1 as again the screen went blank and the machine would not start until i carried out the install which resulted in me loosing all my old important files but at least the laptop was working again.

However once again i have found further issues now i cannot get files to transfer from my tablet or phone via Bluetooth to my laptop. Dell once again took remote control of the machine and then told me it was a software issue and my warranty did not cover this problem. but once again I have the blue screen Video error whenever i first switch the laptop on and still have problems with the pointer moving around the screen when i am typing This is very frustrating, I have never had a computer with these problems before and am very dissatisfied with Dell over this matter, but what made it worse was the telephone conversation I had yesterday with a Technical Manager who explained that my warranty does not cover software issue as the software since receiving my laptop had changed. i pointed out that the only changes were carried out by their own engineers but this seems to be irrelevant.

I asked for a refund and return the laptop to which he refused saying I only had seven days from deliver to make this return, I pointed out that my first complaint about the laptop was actually within the seven day period and i would now contact the relevant regulating authorities to see what legal action i can take to either get the machine repaired or a refund.

Guess what they are coming to collect the machine carry out a full factory restore which he claims will solve the problem. Incidentally often the machine screen just keeps moving up and down as i look through pages and is happening even as I type this

I have no faith that this will work but wondered if anybody else has had these problems and if so what did they do to resolve them?

Sorry to go on but am at the end of my tether over this laptop

saywhut

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
Just to break it down a bit, you are having 3 problems with the machine:

- After awaking/hibernation you get a VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR
If the motherboard has been replaced (make sure it has the video card), which should take care of any video issues at a hardware level, then that leaves software. If you re-imaged the machine, then there is something definitely missing or off. When you did the re-install, were you able to delete the whole partition, or did you just do a reset within Windows 8? Do you have Dell OEM physical media to do the re-install?

- Can not get bluetooth to work properly for file transferring.
Does it connect via bluetooth properly, or just an issue with transferring files?

- Cursor moving when typing.
This could easily be a touchpad setting from the application driver. If there is not one, uninstall the touchpad driver and let Windows give it a generic one to see if there is a change. You can always re-install the driver from the support website.

Technically, Dell's only job is to make sure the hardware is fine, especially if you just have a basic warranty contract.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R 5520, and I love it, I have yet to have a single issue with it. Unfortunately, you can not say the same :(

Jacton

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
Many thanks for you reply saywhut really appreciated You are correct I have three issues.

Yes I have the Dell OEM Windows 8.1 they supplied that to me after the engineer installed the new Motherboard but it made no difference to the problem. I am not sure what you mean by the whole partition I think that's above my skills level to actually understand that. But I think Dell when they took remote control of the laptop yesterday looked at that area.

Bluetooth says its connected to both my tablet and mobile phone but it does not receive files sent to it from either

I really don't want to get into deleting drivers etc as I don't really understand what to do so would rather Dell sorted out this one

I understand Dell's responsible for the hardware but its the software they supplied with the Laptop and therefore its their responsibility to ensure their equipment is supplied to the customer in FULL working order and not with problems and then tell the customer its the customers responsibility and at their cost to get the supplied laptop working correctly, after all you would not purchase a new car that did not run only to be told by the dealer that you had to pay a garage to fix it would you?

I have no experience of the 5520 but looking on various forums there seems to have been many issues with the 5537 so maybe i got the wrong model and if and when i get my refund will seek alternative machines

Once again thanks for your reply

saywhut

Estimable
Sep 11, 2014
You bet. If you can't get a refund, see if you can get an exchange. I would re-image the machine one more time, delete ALL the partitions on the drive first, and giving it one more chance. Very hard to imagine that you are getting the exact same issues after the board replacement, unless it was DOA.

Harsh Dedakia

Estimable
Feb 19, 2015