Solved! dell 5755 slow internet

Nov 2, 2021
windows 11
16 gigs ram.
2.0 gz amd a8 4 core.
100mb ethernet
intel dual band 3160 802.11n wifi adapter.
I have a 1g internet connection.
I get 99m on my 100mb internal ethernet connection.
I understand that this is a limitation of the ethernet connection.
I added a USB 3.0 1gig ethernet adapter plugged into a USB 3.0 port with the latest drivers.
I only get 22mb on the 1gig connection. Set to 1g full duplex.
I get around 99mb when it is set to 100m full duplex.
The usb adapter works on my desktop and gives me 960mb.
I also tried this with a fresh installation of windows 10 with the same results.
How can I get better speed?

Solution
There are a few things that could be doing this. First of all your router/switch needs to be a Gigabit one, not just the adapter. The Internet service provider needs to be providing you with 1 Gbps speeds as well.
Then there is the Ethernet adapter- it could be the USB port not working up to full speed, but more likely the adapter itself. You mentioned the USB port being up-to-date, but what about the adapter? Is there any software that it requires? Also, check the Ethernet cable- try using another one that is at least CAT 5e.

If it is none of these things, then the adapter or USB port is faulty.

mrmike16

Honorable
There are a few things that could be doing this. First of all your router/switch needs to be a Gigabit one, not just the adapter. The Internet service provider needs to be providing you with 1 Gbps speeds as well.
Then there is the Ethernet adapter- it could be the USB port not working up to full speed, but more likely the adapter itself. You mentioned the USB port being up-to-date, but what about the adapter? Is there any software that it requires? Also, check the Ethernet cable- try using another one that is at least CAT 5e.

If it is none of these things, then the adapter or USB port is faulty.

Solution
Nov 2, 2021
The switch is gigabit.
The internet service is gigabit.
The adapter works properly on my desktop and gives me 960mbs using the same cable as the Dell.
The cables are all 5e or better.
The usb adapter runs faster set at 100mb than it does at 1000mb.

mrmike16

Honorable
The switch is gigabit.
The internet service is gigabit.
The adapter works properly on my desktop and gives me 960mbs using the same cable as the Dell.
The cables are all 5e or better.
The usb adapter runs faster set at 100mb than it does at 1000mb.
Yes, I noticed that you mentioned your Internet service being 1Gbps right after I posted, sorry.
That leaves only the USB ports on the PC. Do you have any way to test the speed of the USB port? (I haven't tried it)