Ethernet switch slowing down the internet connection

acestar

Commendable
May 6, 2016
I have an Enter E-S8P 8 Port (10/100M) Ethernet Switch.
Our internet input is through a LAN cable of 100 Mbps connection. We then use the switch to connect 4 Laptops (of me and my roommates) through Ethernet.

But all the devices connected to the switch slowed down drastically or frequently disconnected. The speeds tested on laptops were as slow as 1-5 Mbps. Also whenever we connect the ethernet , we keep connecting randomly to different networks namely "Network", "Network 2", "Network 3".... everytime.

When I directly connect the Input LAN to my laptop (without using the switch) the speeds are normal i.e. 70-80 Mbps.

Is it a bad switch, or do I need to configure something different?
I tried to force "1gb/full duplex" to my ethernet adapter, and also "auto negotiation", but nothing changes.

Solution
It could be the uplink that is having problems, it could be a bad switch. It could be a bad uplink cable. A 5 port gigabit switch is cheap, I would just replace it and eliminate the possibility of a bad switch. Uplink cable is even cheaper, start there.

acestar

Commendable
May 6, 2016

You mean from where the Input LAN is coming ? Well i am not very sure, its a broadband connection, but i think it might be another switch.

kanewolf

Judicious
It could be the uplink that is having problems, it could be a bad switch. It could be a bad uplink cable. A 5 port gigabit switch is cheap, I would just replace it and eliminate the possibility of a bad switch. Uplink cable is even cheaper, start there.

Solution

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
To me it looks like a dirt cheap switch. My rupee to dollars conversion puts this on the dollar store shelf. Also searching for its specs over many sites, not one of them mentioned the internal speed (ie maximum throughput over multiple connections) of the switch.

I would upgrade.