Dell 7577 or acer helios 300?

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hi.

Im going to buy a new notebook and i found myself in a bit of a predicament.
Cabt decide between these two.
Dell 7577
Cpu: i5-7300hq
Gpu: gtx 1060 (max-q)
Ram: 8gb ddr4
Storage: 256 ssd
Extra info: with win10, 5 year warranty, tb3 port, like the look of the chassis a lot, bad screen according to reviews, really good heat management

Acer helios 300
Cpu: i7-7700hq
Gpu: gtx 1060
Ram: 8gb ddr4
Storage: 1tb hdd 5600rpm 128 gb ssd
Extra info: no windows, 4 year warranty, no info on about screen, contraversial info about ibternal heat management, too in your face design for my taste.

I really cant decide. The acer is more powerfull with it's full 1060 an i7 and probably has a better screen but the dell looks more mature and clean, has an os ( which would be nice since i dont have a windows 10 license ) and from what i heard is more reliable ( still that i7 tho )

The price is basivally the same on both. (1544 usd if converted)
Any opinions on the matter? :)

Solution
4 and 5 years of warranty is very generous indeed; in my country we only get 2 years, and in most other countries only 1.

OK, so you picked the wrong word, but even so Dell is a very business-oriented company catering primarily to large corporations. As such, their target clients tend to be 'mature' as in grown-up professionals. If the design on the Dell you're considering strikes you as 'cleaner-looking' - well, that's the reason.

The Acer Helios is not a notebook - it's a gaming laptop meant to appeal to gamers, i.e. people with a completely different age-profile and life-style. So comparing these two is actually a bit unfair to both.

I would expect the Dell to last at least 4 years before suffering any hardware issues, and chances...
"The Dell looks more mature" - well, look at the situation this way: What about you?

If your life revolves around playing games - and I can certainly understand if it does considering all the great games available today - you should go for the Acer (and pony up the extra cash for an OS).

If your life entails business and pleasure in equal measure - a more "mature life" if you will - you should go for the Dell and get a replacement IPS panel, e.g. from this site:
https://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Dell/INSPIRON~15~7577/

(Check the pin connector details.)

The Acer is likely to offer more gaming bang for your buck, but the Dell will most likely give you better battery life.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Im pretty sure replacing the panel would void the warranty. An mature was a wrong choice of word imeant that its a cleaner looking machine but looks are secondary. Another thing i worry about is the longevity. Or is thqt an unnecessary worry since both have pretty long warranty time and has an equal chance of going wrong?

4 and 5 years of warranty is very generous indeed; in my country we only get 2 years, and in most other countries only 1.

OK, so you picked the wrong word, but even so Dell is a very business-oriented company catering primarily to large corporations. As such, their target clients tend to be 'mature' as in grown-up professionals. If the design on the Dell you're considering strikes you as 'cleaner-looking' - well, that's the reason.

The Acer Helios is not a notebook - it's a gaming laptop meant to appeal to gamers, i.e. people with a completely different age-profile and life-style. So comparing these two is actually a bit unfair to both.

I would expect the Dell to last at least 4 years before suffering any hardware issues, and chances are it would last even longer than that.

Acers aren't known for build-quality, and you may have to make use of the warranty much sooner than with the Dell - something like 2 to 3 years at best, with the risk that it might break down even after 1 year.

Solution

mrpitics

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Yeah my work notebuk is a latitude. Works good so far. Thats why i was looking at dell mainly. I know that to be good plus i had an old aspire once and every time i lifted it up i was afraid it would fall to pieces. I think ill just stick to the dell. The performance on the helios is better but for the ganes i play the dell is enough as well. I like the look of the dell more plus it might be more reliable. And maybe i'll put in some extra money and buy a 7577 with an i7. It should only be a 100-150$ more. Anyway thanks for the insight and the help. It actually helped me with the decision. Thank You:)